280 mm brake upgrade

Loopy Lupo

1. does this conversion mean that the curved part of the gti caliper (facing the centre of the wheel) will sit further away from the hub of the wheel??? as i'm having clearance probs with my new wheels.

2. how much do new discs / pads cost?

3. where have peeps who have done this got their discs / pads from at best price?

4. is it a ****** to do?

cheers in advance for help . wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

the curved part of the carrier will sit further away from the hub to allow for the larger diameter discs (they do still fit behind the bathursts by the way!)

i paid £136 quid for corrado g60 black diamond cross drilled discs, and £50 for g60 red dot fast road pads from needforspeed.com

i got the pair of carriers for £60 at a vw/audi breakers.

dead easy to do, and the best option if you want to change your brakes - you get a much better choice than what is available standard!!!

118-1805_IMG.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

go for it matey!!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

yeah you can use the same pads as far as i know!

- get looking for a breakers matey! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

mine have done about 700+ miles now and they are fantastic!

just for carriers??? maybe it was for the calipers aswell confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

i was quite lucky to get them on their own because i rang at first and they said they wouldnt split them - but i had a drive down and asked exactly the same thing and the guy said 'ok, £60 for the pair'

might be worth going down in person

i'm possibly thinking of doing a group buy on these caliper carriers as a local supplyer can get me as many sets as i want at a decent price.

Will try get a price for 10 carriers (5 pairs) tomorrow and see weather its worth doing.

good work matey, how much if you dont mind me asking? - i was quoted £80 a piece for the carriers at the stealers!

- remember they will need painting though wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

They dont come in red mate.

You'll need to paint them smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can you actually see them then once they are on - i thought it was all hidden behind the caliper??

i think i see now andi - so my wheels are actually catching on the carrier i think? i hope this new cariier sits further away from the wheel bolts or i've spent all this dosh for feck all???? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

yep mate, but the disc ain't the prob - it's the carrier. the standard loop one fouls the hub of the wheel, so i'm hoping the new discs having a larger diameter will mean the carrier sits further away from the hub - fingers crossed!

Surely if its on a bigger disk then the caliper is bound to sit further away from the centre hub...

original discs are 257mm, new discs are 280 so thats 23mm halved, 11.5mm further away from the hub.

Dont think it actually moves that far. When I put my Kahns over the standard 256 brakes not only did I have to grind the wheel but I also had to chamfer the part of the calliper carrier that follows the curve of the wheel hub.

I then fitted 280mm set up and had to grind nearly as much off the calliper carrier as with the 256 carriers.

I see the logic with what NFBR has just said but in reality there seemed very little difference in that area of the carrier. Can show anyone who would like to see at E38.

Dont think it actually moves that far. When I put my Kahns over the standard 256 brakes not only did I have to grind the wheel but I also had to chamfer the part of the calliper carrier that follows the curve of the wheel hub.

I then fitted 280mm set up and had to grind nearly as much off the calliper carrier as with the 256 carriers.

I see the logic with what NFBR has just said but in reality there seemed very little difference in that area of the carrier. Can show anyone who would like to see at E38.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ass...thanks anyway darren.

the delivery time was a few days mate, but the discs i wanted didnt have a lead time, they had to be made up. still got them in about 4 working days.....

dont think that will be much good for e38 matey sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

you coud ring them and ask, think it was a guy called joe i spoke to, he was quite helpfull

gone through someone else - getting ebc turbo grooves delivered tomorrow!

best get the old spanners out! confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

is there any chance someone who has done this can give me a bit more of a detailed how to - as i ain't the most gifted greasemonkey blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

thanks in advance guys. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />