1.0 vs GTI

lupo_1.0

i want to started modding the lupo, i.e smooth tail gate and change door handles but as its only a 1.0 iam going to want something fast in a year. so can i dump a 16v or a gti engine in without major work.ie welding.

iam would be going for some new brakes too and some coils. i know it will be a gti gear box and that but are they a stright swap?

cheers

chris

Aren't they the same shell? Can't see VW producing two identical looking shells, one stronger than the other, but I could be wrong.

Yes, you will get bored. Maybe a year, maybe 5, but ultimately you will get bored. As to whether it's worth doing so much work and then doing an engine transplant is up to you, but I never think it's the right way to go. Andi could give a first-hand bit of thinking on this one. Of course, if it's not possible to do it any other way, you have no choice. But in what you'll spend on mods and then increased insurance premiums, you could probably afford the difference between yours and a GTi.

If you upgrade the engine, you NEED to upgrade the brakes too. No two ways about it. It's no good being able to go quick if you can't also stop quick! And yes, you'll need to upgrade your suspension with better shocks and coils too, cos otherwise you'll find yourself in fields/trees/lampposts/shopfronts etc etc more often than you'd like.

As for how big a job the engine transplant is, I'm not sure, but I reckon it'll drop in ok, and you'll need to change the whole loom.

Big job, especially when you could just sell it and buy a GTi!!

He shouldnt need to change the Loom.

As far as I can tell the 1.0, 1.4 100hp and GTi share the same loom.

the 1.4s being diffrent.

The engine will slot straight in, as Steve says, the 1.0 shares the same chassis as the GTi, the same body, other than the doors, front wings and bonnet (basically everything that bolts on easy)

The only thing Im unsure of is the drive shafts, I do not know if the driveshafts will be diffrent.

they are the same between the 1.0 and 1.4 although Ive never looked at a GTi close up, so couldnt tell you.

But as Steve says.

Just change the car.

I cant as I have butched my car that much and spent so much on it, it was cheaper to replace the engine thn replace the car.

But looking back now, I wish Id bought some nice wheels, some coilovers and left it at that.

Then bought a faster car.

If your wanting to do it, then go for it.

Its not a difficult job for a basic machanic (which Im not!)

A garage could do it in a weekend Im sure.

Mitch replaced his in a day!

If he didnt replace the loom so he could fit Polo GTi clocks, it would have been a very straight forward swap.

Few things the guy with the supercharged Lupo told me...

Gti has its own unique subframe which he needed to allow him to fit the gti engine in his non-gti,

Gti has its own unique engine mounts which he needed to allow him to fit the gti engine in his non-gti,

Gti has its own uniquegear linkage which he needed to allow him to fit the gti engine in his non-gti,

Something from my own knowledge. Font end, wings, bonnet, doors, rear quarters, roof, rear bumper are all unique to Gti. Only panel common with non Gti is the boot lid. Boot floor is also unique to Gti as it has the battery box. Also not sure if the Gti has a unique floor as the petrol tank sits further forward.

Aren't they the same shell?

The core shell may be common to all models, the actual cabin and front crash structure.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Few things the guy with the supercharged Lupo told me...

Gti has its own unique subframe which he needed to allow him to fit the gti engine in his non-gti,

Gti has its own unique engine mounts which he needed to allow him to fit the gti engine in his non-gti,

Gti has its own uniquegear linkage which he needed to allow him to fit the gti engine in his non-gti

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds very strange.

The GTi block is identical to that of a 1400

Whats the part numbers on your engine mounts Darren?

The engine mounts on my 1.0 and 1.4 are the same

6NO 199 181 0

WFJ172081

I'll be very suppirsed if the Sport and GTi doesnt share the same mounts.

And diffrent subframe?

Why?

It wouldnt make any sense for a diffrent sub frame be used for an engine so similer.

Gear linkage?

Id imagen it would for 6 gears?

Mitch only has 5, so that could explain that?

Sounds very strange.

Whats the part numbers on your engine mounts Darren?

The engine mounts on my 1.0 and 1.4 are the same

6NO 199 181 0

WFJ172081

I'll be very suppirsed if the Sport and GTi doesnt share the same mounts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yer i think i may just as well buy a 16v and then move up to a gti because i can not see myself have gti money in the next few years.

i do like the look of the gti, but i think the 1.0,1.4 shape is a bit better. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

iam asking because iam a panel beater and sprayer and have seen a writen off gti for, £1750, but it was rolled and rear ended so its too much work to repair it all.

but is it true that a 16v can have more engine mods than a gti?

cheers

chris

but is it true that a 16v can have more engine mods than a gti?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sort of. I think a lot depends who you ask! I think the difference is less than it used to be now, as companies are finally remapping the GTI and you can get more and more parts for it as the market grows. I would say that the biggest advantage of any is the fact that the 1.4 weighs less cause it has an aluminum block as opposed to the iron one used in the GTI. If anything, I imagine parts for the 1.4 may be a bit cheaper as it was put in the Golf, Polo, Lupo and Arosa.

1.4 weighs less cause it has an aluminum block as opposed to the iron one used in the GTI

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> Are talking dimensionally identical only then? The extra 200cc being gained by a longer stroke (hence less revvy nature) on the 1600cc?

Could someone confirm the stuff I quoted from the Supercharged Lupo as I am only repeating whah he told me and cannot confirm with any knowledge of my own.

@Tigz...didnt check my engine mount numbers as my bonnet is still stuck shut!

If anything, I imagine parts for the 1.4 may be a bit cheaper as it was put in the Golf, Polo, Lupo and Arosa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the head is the biggest issue for most.

Its not identical to the GTi one, but its very similer.

Ive heard of 1600 tuners swaping to a 16v head, as Cams are alot less complicated.

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />  confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> Are talking dimensionally identical only then? The extra 200cc being gained by a longer stroke (hence less revvy nature) on the 1600cc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes mate, internally theres not really any diffrence.

A diffrent crank shaft and rods, could possably use the same pistons but I dont know on that one.