Gearbox issue

Spiros

Hello everyone,

I have been having a problem with the car lately. The clutch cable snapped twice. After my mechanic suggested I replace it the second time, it's all gone downhill. Ever since it got replaced, I can drive normally for about 10 minutes, afterwards it seems like the bite point gets lower and lower until it reaches a point where the clutch can't disengage. If I'm at a traffic light with clutch depressed and in gear, if I let go of the brake it moves forward. I can't get the car in neutral or change gear while it's running either. The clutch has also been replaced with a new kit recently. 

After some investigation, my mechanic is convinced the problem is this part of the gearbox:

image.thumb.png.e0e56ed340cf9da8cd466378796f2ce1.png

He says it's bent and the whole gearbox needs to be replaced. I asked around and got a quote to repair the whole gearbox for €1,100!

Is there any way to repair only that part? My Lupo is a 1.4 75HP AKQ engine.

Thanks

Well known problem...

Either of two things or both:

The release bearing guide tube has become all gunged (oil weep from front gearbox seal plus lots of clutch dust over the years). Which leads to the release bearing sticking, meaning you have to press bloody hard to disengage. Which also means that release lever (circled) could bend- easy enough to straighten out with a hammer). Gearbox has to come out to sort lever and gunged guide tube. May as well replace front seal (£4) while gearbox is off. And clutch plate and release bearing if you're thinking of keeping the car a few years. Otherwise it's just a case of pull box, clean everything, lightly lube contact surfaces and reassemble.

The other problem is if the clutch was very stiff, the pedal box assembly- that the clutch cable plugs into- is also known to snap. There's a thread on that subject- easy to tell because you get the symptoms you describe, plus the pedal at rest sits a bit lower than the brake pedal. To sort that, the pedal box needs to come out and swap for a new one, or if someone is handy with a welder, it needs tacking back together (2 min weld job).

Either way, not expensive, but a couple of hours work.

You'll also want to flush the gearbox oil and bung in some nice fresh stuff. :)

Hi @mk2,

Thanks for the answers, you are super helpful.

Just a question, do you know if the release lever is sold separately or if there is a part number for that? Can it be replaced?

I did a search but couldn't find anything. If it's not sold separately, do you know if it is possible to remove it from another gearbox and place it in mine?

All obvious once gearbox is off. The lever slides in through the side. And there are splines on the fork that the lever axle goes into, so make sure yiu get the right position (which I didn't, the first time I did it...).

Yeah you can buy a replacement, but any 085 gearbox lever should work (cable actuated type). But the gearbox needs to be out to remove it... 

Unless it has snapped or has cracks in, it's pretty straight forward to bend it back into shape. But it might be the releaser fork that is bent/broken, in which case you will need a new one. Just plan for being without a car for a week! 🙃

Hi @mk2,

Do you think this one will fit?

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_global/part/085141702A

I see it doesn’t mention VW Lupo in the compatible models but it looks very similar to the one I’m looking for. 

Once gearbox is off I will look and see if it’s easy to just bend it back into the correct place, but just in case that’s not possible, I’m looking for alternative solutions.