Lupo 1.4 44kw error

Rolf van der Toom

Hi all,

I hope that you can help me with my Lupo AUD 1.4 from 2002. It sometimes goes into some kind of emergency mode, mainly after long drives. Then a strange clapping noise comes from the exhaust. It won't accelerate anymore. After a wait it will drive normally again after shutting it down.

I've thus far replaced both O2 sensors, the catalytic converter and the spark plugs. It shows error code P0441 and P0134. In t video you can hear the strange noise.

Any help and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Rolf

Misfire?

could be loose crank sensor or maybe ignition system.

Or worse, an exhaust valve blowing...?

I assume you changed the temp sensor already. First place to start usually.

Edited by mk2

Ok, the codes tell me that too much air is getting into your engine. It might be a leak; air being sucked in via brake hose, faulty brake booster, leaking carbon canister purge valve, an inlet manifold seal having failed or even an inlet manifold crack. Many possibles. Also possible; low fuel injector pressure (fuel pump, filter, regulator...). The air:fuel mix is wrong.

Are you able to use diagnostics and check all the "measuring blocks", so you can see what each sensor is measuring? Like temperature when cold and when hot, that kind of data :)

1 hour ago, Rolf van der Toom said:

I've had the issue yet again, waited 30 min and it started right up again. Road service told me that it probably was a faulty injector due to the 'new' E10 petrol. How can I check which injector is the faulty one?

These injectors are very good, the same injectors are used in audi 1.8turbo engine. You can remove them, add 12V directly to back of them and spray brake cleaner through them, but I think thats not injector fault. I have the same engine in my Lupo and the problem was that my crankcase breather system was both dirty and leaky. To test this you can remove air filter, remove crankcase breather pipe from throttle and block that hole.

From my experience You have misfires in two cylinders (3pots should be able to roughly run but two is not enough to accelerate). Because spark plugs ignites twice in a round you hear claping from exhaust - engine failed to ignite compressed fuel (made misfire) and did ignited fuel mixture exactly before closing exhaust valve.

Can you take a photo of your spark plug wires attached to ignition coil? After seeing VW OE spark plug wires there are some observations as well.

Also NGK spark plugs need to be adjusted to smaller gaps for this engine, standart gap was too big and resistance made even more misfires.

• Like 1