Crank, No start, P0322 code

af557

2001 VW Lupo 1.0 MPI
has had the EPC and CEL illuminated for a while, plugged in a scan tool and cleared the codes, p0322 is persistent and engine no longer runs. any idea what could cause the no start? i wasnt aware the cam signal alone was responsible for the ignition sequencing.

Yes, without crank sensor there is no ignitions, however there is cam sensor without crank sensor the ECU thinks engine is not turning.

I will copy/paste my previous written information how You can easy check if your sensor is  malfunctioning.

Lupo crank sensor has 3 wires, when it is connected and reading the middle wire should always show either +5V or 0V.
If the sensor shows +5V (when reads magnetic surface) or 0V (when reads nothing) it is working, to make sure installed sensor is working turn your crankshaft, easiest way to turn it a bit is puting your car in gear and pushing it tinybit. You can use this method to check both your old and your new sensor, more over you can even check sensor which is not installed, just put bottom of sensor near any magnetic surface.

the code is for the cam sensor, is the crank more likely at fault and just causing the cam code or is it the cam sensor itself at fault?
oxGa7_K0j7_7K0j10e50kTQ45wI31FVv_m3ZlMq-R62IE71hfFnF-1KFBe5qLqLa2PIsrzozAOKzhxl1BJ7teJQyKvI4mL0g0ZTYH8Zap2fQ1F1DS1sGL2JX7jKELldaEBBefr98NQX6QP1ZmOfjBYOJ8YKCU8eri36wpCVZGWXY7icznkgocs-1zku7Ha9n9h_dmG9lpvURBeJQdeJzFahBrhhFAAqJxGzW0CbmJB06LdwPY22bWrxEWuukP4Qci5NL2VF9Wp8ZV5NRMK_HxjisUzad_4YYyUVOp5c5tBe0C4iF1PrDkl0xBZG7ZuCGCEOL0Ogr_bBi7gRUHkai-S498MswY9YUPengLASBeEfFTUCuSmK4KrQkWlG-omgsPqaoxOWtw5FDQVoG5yqJcpGArqHf8ZfAqsNo-Yq-hXM0CKkmEKzGqJW1VsYCR-ZnDlhngs5U8qv6ZYEvjsICA2ARHKJ4qZ3cLxzHY7X595wc4JCnpAyNJh03h5geJlklpUfD1CdIzh7tiUMnbKUwVVfapYSqYebHJ0N_DlluqQNZC3wZRVrkWRxcOZEW3g-8Z1ga7WfE7m49Gqzww4OthRm1mp0UZT0WRk8RnhbBueMZTE9A6py3GG2XSP6muY1NSQFib1BHR0y67ixSrNl8FdlUzGDMIN-U6SVdAmqdJyiXN_WFUE9e94IkBxm_zBFrbFOqu4YZ5zrWlINHoXnH88CuvFcAIlTubAebh7v2pj7YEfT7i7ktudczM4UM7dZ2vp_I8ORtcNQ5KFWHZAe1yMzIOHGxuWh480MYh2VufOagU_rIheqDEuUO23ymSWg6b_2YctiQIdxun2M9elsy1clgHBk9fSfUjfEVATR6mnMjgxebzE-zz6aP_g1L9Z8JZBOoc5lpVJYXP2qbVrG7XcBtzLtSCl_-U6OfgezUJWJh8n2w0bSjMpMQzW3bvv_1lClF_1GaBssh3xxP6Zi9kA=w482-h909-no?authuser=1
here's the codes listed before they were cleared

p0322 won't clear

Edited by af557
added image

You can test cam sensor in the same way, because its also hall effect sensor. Turn ignition on, mesaure voltages between middle wire and ground, turn cranckshaft and you will get exact answer which sensors are faulty.

I think you have faulty crank sensor and thats the source of  p0322.

On VAG engines, the cam sensor is only used to identify which part of the four stroke cycle the engine is in. If a twin spark ignition (also called wasted spark) system is used the ECU can actually inject fuel upstream of the inlet valves at any time in the cycle. For high revving you'd not notice the difference because the turbulence is good enough to get a reasonable fuel-air mix. But at low revs and especially at idle, it'd be a rough as anything if injecting 180 degrees out of phase. 

So worst case, the engine would still run, although it'd be difficult to start 50% of the time.

If you get it running, you can prove an iffy cam sensor by revving it up, killing power then turn back on again while it's still spinning. If sometimes it idles normally, then that's the time the engine in phase with the cam sensor... If it idles roughly, then that's when it's out of phase. 

But if no running at all, most likely crank sensor. :)