Lupo s doesn’t like to go in reverse

Yellowlupo2005

Hi had a problem come up this week every time I go to put my car into reverse it either crunches or doesn’t go in and makes the horrible sound of gears not meshing properly. I’ve had a look at my pedal box seems to have been welded up by a previous owner. Seems relatively solid the only thing I will say is is squeaks/creeks when engaging the clutch any help thanks 

Oh no. Sounds like a few problems here. Creaking is usually a cracked pedal box. A new crack that'll need welding...

Grinding and whirring gears are never good, so i very strongly suggest you don't drive it a single metre more. Not an inch. Don't tow it either. The bearings in the gearbox will need replacing right now. :(

And difficulty selecting reverse is usually an adjustment needed on the selector shaft mechanism. Easy and quick. 😀👍🏻

Difficulty selecting 5th means that the roller bearings in the centre of the fifth gear cog have shattered (caused by low gearbox oil level)- but all fixable if you don't drive it. Seriously, not an inch further. Not even to take it to a garage. Get it transported.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:31 PM, mk2 said:

Oh no. Sounds like a few problems here. Creaking is usually a cracked pedal box. A new crack that'll need welding...

Grinding and whirring gears are never good, so i very strongly suggest you don't drive it a single metre more. Not an inch. Don't tow it either. The bearings in the gearbox will need replacing right now. :(

And difficulty selecting reverse is usually an adjustment needed on the selector shaft mechanism. Easy and quick. 😀👍🏻

Difficulty selecting 5th means that the roller bearings in the centre of the fifth gear cog have shattered (caused by low gearbox oil level)- but all fixable if you don't drive it. Seriously, not an inch further. Not even to take it to a garage. Get it transported.

I think it’s just the adjustment that needs doing and maybe the pedal box as when the gearbox actually goes in gear it sounds perfect it’s just trouble selecting reverse I have no other issues with other gears occasionally first but I think that’s because It’s a new car to me I’ve only passed my test this week I’m going to do a gearbox oil change and try and adjust the linkage I’ll have a look on my pedal box see if I can see any more cracks 

don’t suppose there is a tutorial or any pointers adjusting the mechanism the box is from a 1.4 16v 75hp thanks for the help 

That's a relief.

Yeah to adjust, loosen nut labeled 65, and slide the bolt 63 up in its slot by a couple of mm. Don't go too far or fifth will be tricky to select. You'll find the perfect spot is somewhere a bit higher than where it is right now.

Best time to change the gearbox oil is just after a run while it's still hot and runny. Any bits will get flushed out in the oil. (See ultimate gearbox thread pics). Drain plug trick- use a wheel nut (bolt) and 17mm spanner if you don't have the tool. You can also fill via the speedo sensor hole, which is easier to access. 3L max for the 085 box. Fully synth GL4 (or GL4/5) EP75W90. Not GL5.

Usually you can tell if the pedal box is on its way out because the slack takeup spring on the clutch lever has been adjusted all the way to max tension (no slack). One of my Lupos is like that right now... clutch bite point is right on the floor. Only just disengages when I push hard on the clutch pedal.

lots of pics please :)

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

Thanks for telling me how to adjust it should be able to do it at work tomorrow 

just wondering where the slack take up spring is because my clutch seems to have a bit of free play at the top of the pedal before you can properly feel it if you get what I mean  

there’s the weapon out on its first drive by myself 

6A1B0750-4276-4A7D-A29F-2309DA71BA77.jpeg