Hi from desperate Lupo mamma

MammaP

Hi everyone, I have a Lupo automatic 2002 which is sadly almost at the scrap stage 😭.  I have just collected her from the garage and the news is not great.  2 parts are needed that are unavailable.  Is there anywhere online where I can find them from breakers, like brokers find insurance?  I keep getting things fixed and my mechanic is great but he can't get the parts needed. I love my Lupo and am not ready to give up on her yet! 

I need a front wiper linkage and O/F caliper carrier.  There were not many of this model produced and not many left on the road so even scrap parts are rare. 

Any advice appreciated.  Thank you Lupo lovers 🤩

Caliper carrier, or hub carrier? Usually available at many breakers yards. In fact if you go on ebay there are a couple of sellers that are regularly breaking up Lupos. Or they have them in their yard and will strip off parts by request and send them to you. Or do an internet search for VW breakers. Arosa parts will also be a perfect fit. Alternatively, it is possible to upgrade the front brakes on loops (and rosas), which will then be brand new (racing or sport brakes!)

The wiper linkage with the two plastic ends (which is the one that usually wears out) I've seen for sale new on ebay, albeit from far distant lands. But as a temporary fix, you can drill out the shallow cup with a 9.5mm drill bit and flip it, so the ends are swapped. Lots of MS3 grease. Mine has lasted 3 years so far👍🏻

Oh, and as your's is an automatic, please please have your gearbox serviced. BOTH fluids need changing at least every two or three years (and the magnets cleaned and gearbox fluid filter changed). Nobody ever does it. Gearboxes need some love too...

14 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Caliper carrier, or hub carrier? Usually available at many breakers yards. In fact if you go on ebay there are a couple of sellers that are regularly breaking up Lupos. Or they have them in their yard and will strip off parts by request and send them to you. Or do an internet search for VW breakers. Arosa parts will also be a perfect fit. Alternatively, it is possible to upgrade the front brakes on loops (and rosas), which will then be brand new (racing or sport brakes!)

The wiper linkage with the two plastic ends (which is the one that usually wears out) I've seen for sale new on ebay, albeit from far distant lands. But as a temporary fix, you can drill out the shallow cup with a 9.5mm drill bit and flip it, so the ends are swapped. Lots of MS3 grease. Mine has lasted 3 years so far👍🏻

Oh, and as your's is an automatic, please please have your gearbox serviced. BOTH fluids need changing at least every two or three years (and the magnets cleaned and gearbox fluid filter changed). Nobody ever does it. Gearboxes need some love too...

Thank you, it's caliper carrier Os/f . The guy tried to get parts but the local VW dealer couldn't get them.  Then he offered to buy it which is odd when he can't fix it. I can't do any of this stuff unfortunately I have to take it to a garage.  I found a site that puts requests to breakers in UK but no responses yet. This Lupo is apparently limited edition.  Gearbox was serviced last year.  I assume they changed the fluids, I will ask them Thanks for the heads up. 

1 hour ago, MammaP said:

Thank you, it's caliper carrier Os/f . The guy tried to get parts but the local VW dealer couldn't get them.  Then he offered to buy it which is odd when he can't fix it. I can't do any of this stuff unfortunately I have to take it to a garage.  I found a site that puts requests to breakers in UK but no responses yet. This Lupo is apparently limited edition.  Gearbox was serviced last year.  I assume they changed the fluids, I will ask them Thanks for the heads up. 

Ah yes. You will have that problem now as Vw where suppose to transfer everything to vw hertiage but alas this did not fully happen with some parts.

Wiper linkage, best bet is to go ebay and look up Vw Lupo breaking. I am sure most scrappys will have this part. Its a standard part accross all Vw lupos (no matter if a Auto etc)

With regards to the caliper carrier. I checked, gsf and autodoc. Autodoc say they do have that part avalaible, GSF said not. Eurocar parts i would of tried but it was not letting me select all he options bizarely.

If you South East based i would recommend LCP, it is more of a tradtional parts store where you go in and say what you need, i have used them for getting parts for my GTi and have had no issues. https://www.lcpautomotive.co.uk/find.html

Just had a thought- the hub carrier is the same as the 6N polo. But there are two variants, depending on which brake assembly you have. On one type, there are two sliders, that the brake pads hook onto and slide along as they wear. The other just has two bolt holes where the pins take the load through the caliper.

here are links just so you know what you're looking for (from what your mechanic describes)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314056335743

And another complete with shock absorber, spring, brake disk and ball joint (you only need the main bit at the bottom).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255550424026

pics of car? Where abouts in the country are you approx? There are quite a few places that are familiar to club lupo...

4 hours ago, lupo1.0se said:

Ah yes. You will have that problem now as Vw where suppose to transfer everything to vw hertiage but alas this did not fully happen with some parts.

Wiper linkage, best bet is to go ebay and look up Vw Lupo breaking. I am sure most scrappys will have this part. Its a standard part accross all Vw lupos (no matter if a Auto etc)

With regards to the caliper carrier. I checked, gsf and autodoc. Autodoc say they do have that part avalaible, GSF said not. Eurocar parts i would of tried but it was not letting me select all he options bizarely.

If you South East based i would recommend LCP, it is more of a tradtional parts store where you go in and say what you need, i have used them for getting parts for my GTi and have had no issues. https://www.lcpautomotive.co.uk/find.html

Thank you! I checked Autodoc and they list the part but don't specify O/S or N/S  Front or rear. I need OS front. How do I check the OEN number is it in the handbook? There is a panel somewhere that has a lot of numbers on, I got the paint number from it.  They seem to have the wiper linkage too but  for left hand drive vehicles. I have some hope now. I live in the West Midlands. 

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Just had a thought- the hub carrier is the same as the 6N polo. But there are two variants, depending on which brake assembly you have. On one type, there are two sliders, that the brake pads hook onto and slide along as they wear. The other just has two bolt holes where the pins take the load through the caliper.

here are links just so you know what you're looking for (from what your mechanic describes)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314056335743

And another complete with shock absorber, spring, brake disk and ball joint (you only need the main bit at the bottom).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255550424026

pics of car? Where abouts in the country are you approx? There are quite a few places that are familiar to club lupo...

How do I add photos on my phone? I only find a paper clip icon for files, I am about as good at tech as I am with cars 🤣.  I am in the West Midlands Warwickshire.