Seat Arosa 1.0 S 2003 Engine tick noise

toblat

Hi, 

I recently bought a 2003 Seat Arosa S 1.0 with 42k miles on it. Had an original timing belt so had that and the water pump swapped. 

I've recently noticed an intermittent ticking noise after the engine starts, which by the time i get to the destination seems to have stopped.

Does this sound bad? I've done some research and have heard it could be tappets? Are these worth changing? 

Also i've been unable to fill up with petrol the whole way, the dash says its at half after i fill up, anyone had this problem?

Edited by toblat
more info

Sounds like a normal 1L... Might be worth an oil and filter change if the tappets are sticking. Google how they work. A true wonder of engine technology :)

Usually a hot engine flushes out any gummy residue, so check your temp gauge. Sticky thermostat...?

And welcome to club lupo!

Edited by mk2
Hello

When i get a new used car, i always change all the fluids (incl gearbox/brake/coolant), belts, filters and the thermostat. Worth it just for peace of mind so you know it's going to be reliable. An extra £50 is worth it to save a future breakdown taxi fee or tow home.

Your model's weakness is plug leads, coil pack and engine sensors - all of which are relatively cheap and easy to replace and simply fail because of their age. You could swap them too if everything is original from new.

• 1 month later...

Hey @mk2

I just made another video as the noise seems to have gotten worse haha

Seems that its only on cold starts, and it happens after the revs start slowing down (ie if i start the car later in the day it will sound fine).

The noise seems to stop if i put it into reverse gear too.

Reckon this is something bad or just tappets?

Cheers, sorry to spam you again! :)  (Noise starts at 0:48)

• 4 months later...