dab unit mounting

ArosaScott

Just thinking of mounting a nextbase 350BT DAB unit in the car (don't wanna put a fancy headunit in there for it to get stolen) and have this laying around. 

Where would everyone say to mount the unit, i don't really want it on the window screen so on the dash somewhere would be perfect just not sure where, and also would tapping into the Stereo or Cig lighter fuse be OK? (piggy back fuse holder) 

Edited by ArosaScott

• 4 months later...

So after having a DAB unit in for a while and enjoying it i bought a refurbished Sony DAB+ Headunit to replace the unit i am currently using. 

My question is can i buy a 'splitter' where it has the normal FM aerial and DAB connector in one so i can just use the normal car antenna so i dont have to have a window mounted aerial, or is the signal not strong enough? 

(Sorry to bump an older thread, just thought it was better than starting a new one) 

Glad to hear you are a convert to DAB

Afraid not - an FM/AM antennae does not receive DAB.

either stick with windscreen antennae (not great) or you need to replace your current one with a Dab antennae - these usually have 3 cables, one for dab, one for fm/am and the 3rd is power.

I used to have an expensive antennae in my Mk4 that only dropped signal in very few locations, I'm running a Chinese antennae on my Mk5, for 1/4 price it has 98% of the performance - it works very well

Edited by LR5V

No worries - I was on my ipad earlier - a lot harder to add links:

This is the one I got - or similar - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-ROOF-AERIAL-RADIO-SMA-SMB-FAKRA-12V-AMPLIFIED-KIT-BOLT-ON-ANTENNA-AERIAL/223457222149?hash=item3407169e05:g:gScAAOSw8t5dcL5d

Not sure if mine was the same, I missed out on choosing the connection and had to also had to source an adaptor - so work out what connectors you need

The great news is it looks like OEM antenna but stubby - be aware it took a good few weeks to get to the UK... may take longer with viral lock-down

@LR5V Thanks for the link mate, for simplicity as gash as they look i think im just going to go with the window mounted one. which way would be best suited in your opinion of running the cable up the window side? (my old portable unit had a window sticker but i actually just used to lay it in the troff bit and still worked fine) but this time i wanna do it properly 

Update. 

So today i managed to get it all fitted and results are great, for a 'windscreen aerial' 

I didn't really want the aerial stuck to my window as i think they're ugly things so tried a mixture of different places to try hide the aerial from view. Some had 'ok' results and some not so much so, i tried hiding the aerial behind the panel in the passenger footwell, using the metal as a ground but the copper flex aerial caused static when touching the body work also so that was a no go, and then i looked at running it up the and along the window screen to where the rear view mirror is but found it made the roof lining stick out abit which i wasnt a fan of. 

So i then ran the cable just up to where the passenger side tweeter is and used the metal there to anchor the ground and the little box, the aerial also poked down behind the bash itself leaving a much more stealth fitment. While not perfect it was something i was happy with, and the results are bang on crystal clear on all stations and works well.