Advise needed..

AlexxPfionathelupo

Hey guys! I'm a new member& also a girl.. (Don't judge!) Know few things about cars as working in car industry& all my lads mates are into cars, just need an answer to my "stupid" question without laughing (as they do& never got my answer)??. I'm the owner of a Lupo S 1.4 16v, as some of you know this type of Lupo has a tappy engine.. My question is, if I put an exhaust (nothing loud, for example cherry bomb) would it make the tapping less loud while driving? Or while the car is parked? Maybe any of you know how to get rid of the tapping in the engine? Lup sounds like a diesel?? 

Thanks, Alex (: 

The tapping is probably your tappets (the name fits right) or also known as lifters, yours are hydraulic oil pressurised self adjusting things, so if they are tapping then they are not working properly, it's usually the oil holes in the tappet are blocked by carbon deposits from poor maintenance.

There are treatments that can be put in the engine oil to free up a sticky tappet, (i've never tried them) or they can be removed, stripped down, washed and cleaned up to free up the oil holes and make them work again. 

An exhaust will do nothing to fix the problem.

to get rid of the "tapping" it will either be excessive play in the roller bearing on the rocker arm or the hydraulic lifter (what most people call the tappet). you would need to replace the faulty ones (if not all as if one has gone the rest are likely to follow). your best off getting this done sooner rather than later if your wanting the tapping noise to go, many people suggest thicker oil etc etc but that would just lead to bigger problems further down the line. To do them you would need to take the cambelt off (so your best of changing this for piece of mind (it's a 2 belt system so change both) as well as the water pump while you're there and have access). it isn't a cheap job but one well worth doing. you could service it at the same time as taking the spark plugs out makes turning the engine over by hand a lot easier as there will be no compression.