1.0 e running rough

leeren666

Morning all, new member here :) 

just been given a v reg 1.0e from the mother in law, she was going to scrap it but I decided to save it and try to bring it back to life, it's recently been put through a test with a couple of brake pipes but has had an intermittent problem that has recently got worse, I haven't even picked it up yet but thought I would try on here and see if any common problems are known, ( just to help me narrow it down ASAP ) 

problem is it would run fine for a few days then develop a possible misfire, sluggish for a day or 2 and then be ok again, this has gotten progressively worse and now it's constantly in the sluggish chugging phase as she calls it ! I was thinking maybe coil pack or distributor would be best place to start but does anyone know any better ? Not sure if any management lights on yet, but will find out over next few days.

any heads up at all would be appreciated

Buy one of these and scan for fault codes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-KKL-VAG-COM-Cable-409-1-ODB-II-ODB2-Auto-Diagnostic-VW-Audi-Skoda-Tool-UK-/391109450635?hash=item5b0ff09b8b:g:dKUAAOSwr81UUMLV

There are oodles of things like coil packs, leads, plugs, burnt valves, leaking throttle body etc etc etc. so stabbing around on the dark throwing money at it is pointless.

Edited by Sausage
splelling

1 minute ago, Sausage said:

Buy one of these and scan for fault codes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-KKL-VAG-COM-Cable-409-1-ODB-II-ODB2-Auto-Diagnostic-VW-Audi-Skoda-Tool-UK-/391109450635?hash=item5b0ff09b8b:g:dKUAAOSwr81UUMLV

There are oodles of things like coil packs, leads, plugs, burnt valves, leaking throttle body etc etc etc. so stabbing around on the dark throwing money at it is pointless.

That's all good but I would also need to buy a laptop to use it with :( 

the whole idea is to find the problem and fix it ? Not stab around and throw money at it ? I just thought there may be some common problems, some where I could look first, thanks for the help though 

You could buy an old laptop running windows XP for £20 or less. It doesnt have to be fancy but get a common one like a dell, HP, etc.

The codes will more or less tell you what is wrong and you can spend less time and money repairing it that way.

:)

56 minutes ago, leeren666 said:

the whole idea is to find the problem and fix it ? Not stab around and throw money at it ?

Without a proper diagnostic check, stabbing around and throwing money at it is exactly what you're going to do.

Check Facebook to see if there is a local VW owners group to you, someone may be able to do a diagnostic check for you.

Edited by Dubster

I had a similar problem with my 1.0 Arosa years back, but it also stank of fuel and was misfiring on start up. OK as it warmed up though.

Lambda sensor failed.