Lupo with classic mini wheels

Morgan09

Hi one of my first posts on club lupo and have posted as I need some advise?, 

i have some 13 inch classic mini wheels ready to go on my lupo 1.4, I realise the bolt pattern is different and he bore size is different, and have already got the wobbly bolts and spigot rings to sort these issues, however as they have quite a deep dish the front two wheels will not spin because the brake callipers is catching on the spokes, so I have some 10 mm spacers and this has solved that issue, but because they are 7.5j wheels, with the spacers they stick out wide AF!!   

It looks sick!! But I realise if I get pulled over I am screwed, so I don't know weather to either roll my arches? (But unsure on how much difference this will make)

or get some arches and bolt on ( but haven't seen many lupos with bolt on fenders) 

or get some smaller spacers (although not sure how much difference this will make, and might catch on callipers again) 

Thanks in advance

image.jpg

What are the offsets on them? 7.5j should be fine, I have run 8j no probs and no poke, Its down to the offset on them. that will also be why your having to run a spacer as the offset they have wont clear your brakes

• Like 1

I'm not sure 'sick' is the word I'd use, but each to their own. I like Classic Mini wheels, but wheels sticking way out the arches just doesn't do it for me. No offence intended, the car itself looks very nice though.

Rolling your arches is an option, but it requires a lot of patience. If you do it yourself, you need to heat the panel properly and be very careful. Get it wrong, you'll crack the paint and you'll regret ever doing it. Not sure how much it costs to have it done professionally.

You could get some fender arches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Lupo-1998-2005-Brand-New-Wheel-Arch-Trim-set-4pcs-Front-Rear-BLACK-Matt-/221619029629?fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item339986067d:g:RU4AAOSwg3FUdujC

They're matt black so you could easily rub them a bit, spray them to match your car, or put them on as they are and go for the whole "I R RACECAR" look. They might look alright, although I'm really not promising anything.

I'd be more concerned about your wheel bearings to be honest. Spacers, spigot rings, more load, and the introduction of different load angles, and the fact they're pretty wide. Can't imagine it's doing your WB's any favours whatsoever, but there we go. Wheel bearings are cheap enough I guess so might be worth the compromise for 'good looks'.

Doesn't look like the tread is sticking out to much, like skezza says your wheel bearings will love them.... You should be able to get away with them, by loads what do you mean? My loads may be different to your loads ;)

well your wheel bearings have a side which is load-bearing. You're now adding extra load and at different angles, so the amount of wear is greatly amplified.

Wheel bearings are cheap though and if you're happy to replace them then why not eh?  

1 hour ago, mattarosa said:

Effort? much easier and cheaper to stick to sensible offset wheel? oh no wait im being old again

I think we're both getting old. I put wheels on that fit too but I'm a boring old man. 

Plus wheel bearings require less effort than replacing a sub frame. Still doesn't stop people lowering their cars to the point they're borderline undriveable.

2 hours ago, mattarosa said:

You are old! You have a passat estate! And a coffee machine. 

Old!

My daily is a Skoda Yeti, I must be virtually geriatric.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mattarosa said:

Even more so for using words like geriatric ;) what's the yeti like out of interest? 

Actually, it a great car, the same length as a Golf with tons more interior space.

Haldex 5 4x4, 170PS TDI and more equipment that you can shake a stick it.

Very useful on the flooded back roads around here at the moment - just south of York.

8 hours ago, Skezza said:

I'm not sure 'sick' is the word I'd use, but each to their own. I like Classic Mini wheels, but wheels sticking way out the arches just doesn't do it for me. No offence intended, the car itself looks very nice though.

Rolling your arches is an option, but it requires a lot of patience. If you do it yourself, you need to heat the panel properly and be very careful. Get it wrong, you'll crack the paint and you'll regret ever doing it. Not sure how much it costs to have it done professionally.

You could get some fender arches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Lupo-1998-2005-Brand-New-Wheel-Arch-Trim-set-4pcs-Front-Rear-BLACK-Matt-/221619029629?fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item339986067d:g:RU4AAOSwg3FUdujC

They're matt black so you could easily rub them a bit, spray them to match your car, or put them on as they are and go for the whole "I R RACECAR" look. They might look alright, although I'm really not promising anything.

I'd be more concerned about your wheel bearings to be honest. Spacers, spigot rings, more load, and the introduction of different load angles, and the fact they're pretty wide. Can't imagine it's doing your WB's any favours whatsoever, but there we go. Wheel bearings are cheap enough I guess so might be worth the compromise for 'good looks'.

ahah cheers pal ?? , but the picture doesn't do it much justice looks better in person and them fenders don't look to bad although 58 quid for 4 pieces of plastic is mad