Change Lupo TDI temperature sensor - wrong parts?

Has anyone done this recently? I did my thermostat all OK today with parts from Europarts, but for the temp SENSOR I suspect the part they sent is wrong or I am looking at the wrong bit !

As you look at the engine from the front, based on the skoda workshop manual link, I am assuming the temp sensor is on the right, about 2 inches below the top hose...?

The connector is a triangular 3 pin plug - I can see perhaps a 19mm or 17mm 'ish looking shape on the sensor....i.e. a bit like a spark plug fitting (broadly speaking).

The part I have been sent is a near round 4 pin plug, with a brass end. All I can find on ebay are sensors like this, i.e. brass end, 4pin - they look they are held in with like a plastic horse shoe clip and an o'ring.

Is it fair to assume that I have been sent a wrong part OR does the 19mm looking bit I am looking at cover the part I have been sent or something

Any pointers?

Edited by TheFish

Hey great, looks different to the part I was looking at....! Will have to wait until Friday day now to have a look, but yeah thanks for the steer.....I wonder what the other one is? Must be for the fan I guess or something.....really appreciate that ! Thanks

I assume you lose coolant once this one is released right? i.e the brass metal bit is actually in the pipework as such with coolant over it ?

The one under the top hose on the radiator is probably the fan switch.

Coolant will come out when you pull the sensor out so either be quick on the draw or catch it and refill after. I havent done this myself yet btw LOL

Edited by Sausage

The one under the top hose on the radiator is probably the fan switch.

Coolant will come out when you pull the sensor out so either be quick on the draw or catch it and refill after. I havent done this myself yet btw LOL

Sausage,

Thats great feedback - brilliant pointer thanks....will nail this Friday and feedback Cheers

Ok, drove my TDi today and the flipping bottom hose is not getting hot, even after 1 hr driving etc.....was ok last night, so looks like I am going to pop the original in. Had a chance to find and eyeball the sensor which is there, as per sausage pic above !

I would still say it's your thermostat or a blockage. I don't see how the sensor would affect a hose not getting hot.

Its 2 things.....the original problem was the temp gauge either not working at all, or going up and down.....both the bottom and top hoses were warm....so I assumed the sensor.....

I only got the Lupo recently and decided that popping in a new thermostat at the same time of the sensor was a bit of proactive maintenance as it were and gave me a chance to inspect the old thermostat etc......so 1st time, the temp was slow to go up, but it worked up to 90c all nicely. Next morning, nothing....not an mm of movement on the gauge and a cold bottom pipe! So I assume the new part is faulty. I contacted Europarts who are providing a replacement as within 28 days of purchase. So fingers crossed, all should be good with the new, new 2nd part......

If you drained it partially when doing the thermostat then you might just have air locked it a bit.

Squeezing and massaging the top and bottom hoses with it running (watch out for fans and fingies etc) doesnt shift it (heater matrix open)? or is there a bleed nipple?

Edit for not reading properly LOL

If no air lock then a blockage in the rad, if the coolant you drained was clean then that's unlikely.

heater matrix gets hot? or just warm?

Edited by Sausage

All ok now, temp going to 70 then 90......

I just swung the alternator down - I used a sealey vs1663 hose clamp tool too....made getting the top hose off soooooo easy.

Be careful when replacing the horse shoe on sensor. Naturally, it has to seat in the slot. The blind side can bend up out the way, so push the sensor against the O ring and allow the horse shoe clip to slot it. Once secure, you know when its in correctly! Took me about 20 mins to strip the engine all down, using a 16mm spanner to release the tensioner node (pull it towards you) to slip off the toothed belt. Then remove the 3 x 13mm bolts holding the tensioner. That makes getting to the alternator long bolts easy. Just wiggle the airbox on left to get top bolt out, just loosen the lower one. Dont forget to put cardboard or bubblewrap against radiator as the alternator swings down with a thump.....

">http://IMG_20151110_133041_321_zps9fo88ech.jpg

With the 2 x bolts off the thermostat housing. Its only 5 mins work to get the alternator out the way to get this level of access to it.....

">IMG_20151110_135121_133_zpsthzrnwtx.jpg

Brass end on old sensor was very blackened, but there was evidence of damp/wet in the plug end....by sensor was going up and down a bit, as wel as the lower pipe staying cold, which I concluded was a faulty new part.....(although on removal in a pan of water, it worked fine!)

">http://IMG_20151110_182111_500_zpseafizvjv.jpg

On the male end (on car) I used electrical contact cleaner and then added the new temp sensor

">http://IMG_20151110_183302_592_zpsbaduq3bc.jpg

Edited by TheFish