Has my Lupo got headlight covers on? Can anyone confirm?

TheFish

Just had my Lupo, oh 2.5 days now and just going a few things....

I noticed a clip at the top of the headlight with a black gasket around the whole headlight...I suspect that unclipping it, pulling it back, would then un-seat from the bottom etc.....?

They look a bit misted, but my passat had a similar challenge. Some guys at Bentley advised using smokers toothpaste, which did the trick.....

Just want to rule out that I am NOT unclipping the out headlight cover if you follow.......like I say, I think its plastic and not glass.

So yeah, if you cant see a very obvious plastic clip at the 12 o'clock of your light, then I guess you have none on? Literally not seen one Lupo in the surrounding area to quickly eyeball one.....

That sounds to me like the clip for the headlight lens. If you try and unclip that without heating the headlight, you'll probably break it.

Yeah, so that is the actual lens then....I did review some images and concluded that the covers were a bit chunkier and likely to be more obvious....So is the out lens glass or plastic? Is that a replaceable part then once they become shot blasted with wear? I assumed it was a sealed unit, so this upped clip surprised me..? Does the bumper have to be off to access the whole lamp....Nothing urgent, just after a steer as no Haynes manual yet......thanks

Yeah, so that is the actual lens then....I did review some images and concluded that the covers were a bit chunkier and likely to be more obvious....So is the out lens glass or plastic? Is that a replaceable part then once they become shot blasted with wear? I assumed it was a sealed unit, so this upped clip surprised me..? Does the bumper have to be off to access the whole lamp....Nothing urgent, just after a steer as no Haynes manual yet......thanks

Yes, it's replaceable, but they use silicone sealant which requires heating.

No need to remove the whole bumper, just the little part holding the indicators. Remove the headlight, put it in the oven at gas mark 1, give it 10 minutes (I usually give it 20) and then crack it apart using a screw driver and effort. It's a bit of a dirty job, but I've done it and it's worth it.

If you break the clip, super glue it back on.

Yes, it's replaceable, but they use silicone sealant which requires heating.

No need to remove the whole bumper, just the little part holding the indicators. Remove the headlight, put it in the oven at gas mark 1, give it 10 minutes (I usually give it 20) and then crack it apart using a screw driver and effort. It's a bit of a dirty job, but I've done it and it's worth it.

If you break the clip, super glue it back on.

Ok....same on BMW Z3 for angel eyes etc.....ok, so no covers on. Have noted some glass refurb kits so will give those a try or my Bentley smokers toothpaste a crack first. Spoke to vw and they only sell sealed units at £110, so the lens can't be bought on its own. At least I know what's what now and I know this is just the light unit now....cheers