retrofitting of opening rear windows

weslangdon

I think that I have the complete kit minus maybe a few key items, I have the window, the hinge the rubber to fit onto the metal window frame and have ordered captive nuts and screws from the local main dealer for the b pillar.

The c pillar side of the window already has pre-drilled holes and threads to receive the hinge so it look a very straightforward job or am I missing something

Edited by weslangdon

Sorry if it's a daft question, but the opening rear windows.... Is that a special custom kit or is it taken straight from the arsoa

Common on Lupo S' mate. Get down your scrapyard.

These can came from a Lupo and so far I've managed one side, the fitting is easy, the preparation to fit is a nightmare. Forget trying to remove the fixed window, smash it from the inside, recycle what you can, the glass is bonded in so after the centre is smashed you need a stanley knife to cut away the rubber sealant that was bonding the window to the frame. This is difficult and time consuming if you are like me you will have scraped the paintwork through to the metal underneath, a heat gun did nothing to ease off this sticky rubber-gum, a sharp knife is the only way. After removing the bulk I used a sanding pad to remove more in the most stubborn areas. Then I touched up the scrapes and scratches with metal primer and finished off masking up first with with spay-on black stone-chip paint this is slightly rubbery and rough textured so covers up the bits of sealant I haven't been able to remove. Fit rubber onto frame, make sure you push this firmly home or it will seem that its too large, fit captive nuts into predrilled holes in the b pillar, bolt glass hinge to the pre drilled nuts in the c pillar...finish off by cleaning the glass