Passenger Electric Window not working properly

Ian Emms

Hi all, I have a problem concerning the passenger side electric window not working properly.

The passenger window is unable to be operated at all, under any circumstances by the drivers door switch.

The passenger window can be lowered by the passenger switch, but can't be raised unless you remove the fuse weirdly!

Both windows raise using the key whilst locking the doors, and holding key in position as it should

If anyone can give me any pointers I'd really appreciate it, so maybe I can sort it out myself, or be better informed if I have to get an auto electricians help.

Sounds very much like the window switches or the wiring loom. Naturally start with the loom first.

The first test I would do is to disconnect the drivers side switch. If the passengers switch starts working properly then you know it's probably the drivers switch. You can replace just one switch from the drivers side but it has to be for the drivers side, the passenger side switch is different.

Thanks for your replies, I disconnected the passenger door from the drivers switch, and the window works absolutely fine.

I just decided to switch the plugs around on the drivers switch, and the passenger window works absolutely fine being switched from the drivers portion of the switch, and the drivers window failed to work whilst attempting to from the passenger portion of the switch.

So I guess the drivers switch is the problem?

Edited by Ian Emms

Yes, that's the same problem I had. I changed just the faulty switches for a brand new one and it worked ok.

I took the switch apart and found a load of dust in there, but still no joy after a good clean. So just need to wait for the new switch to come.

To be fair, a few simple maintenance steps once a year can all but pretty much prevent your regulator from failing. These steps are in ElsaWin as recommended service maintenance. 9/10, the ones that fail haven't been well maintained.

To be fair, a few simple maintenance steps once a year can all but pretty much prevent your regulator from failing. These steps are in ElsaWin as recommended service maintenance. 9/10, the ones that fail haven't been well maintained.

I've installed ElsaWin, but I couldn't get anything on it to work.

I've installed ElsaWin, but I couldn't get anything on it to work.

I'm guessing you just need to be shown how. It's a bit weird to use. You have to start like a 'session'. Don't forget, this is software used by dealers, so they're assuming you're working on a customers car.

Go on youtube, have a look, or if not, i'll try get a few screen grabs tonight for you.

• 6 years later...

Hi. 
looking for ideas regarding passengers window problem. 
the window works perfect from drivers side switch up and down. 
from the passenger side switch, it will only go down !! 
IT IS NOT THE SWITCH !

has been like it for a while and would just like to clear it up  

it does exactly the same when applying a wire across the wiring loom terminals. 

Could it be the motor?

Does anyone  have a wiring diagram for the window switches/ motor termination plug

thanks in advance.