Clunking noise!

Hi all! I have been driving almost 7 months, and I'm still on my first car which is a 2002 1.0l Lupo. I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that there is a "clunking" noise coming from the drivers side wheel? It happens when I am about to set off, and also when I am going down hill and I ease off the gas. It might be something really simple and I may sound stupid but could anybody help please?

Edited by Laura_vwlupo

It kind of sounds like it could be the engine mounts. Is it vibrating a lot? Knocking and vibrating is usually a good sign of worn mounts.

If it is, then it's a fairly hefty job if you're all that knowledgeable. It'll be a jack under the engine to hold it, while you lift the engine and remove the mounts one at a time. it's doable, but I wouldn't say its easy.

You could do with getting it in the air and seeing where the knock is coming from to be sure though.

It kind of sounds like it could be the engine mounts. Is it vibrating a lot? Knocking and vibrating is usually a good sign of worn mounts.

If it is, then it's a fairly hefty job if you're all that knowledgeable. It'll be a jack under the engine to hold it, while you lift the engine and remove the mounts one at a time. it's doable, but I wouldn't say its easy.

You could do with getting it in the air and seeing where the knock is coming from to be sure though.

Aahh! Doesn't sound good!! Thanks a lot though :)

Could be wheel bearings? When mine went, it sounded terrible! Would be an easier fix than new engine mounts that's for sure!

I'm hoping that's what it is! It is a horrible noise, when it happens I can feel it on my pedals and sometimes my steering wheel?

Wheel bearings are easy enough to check though. Jack your car up (with a proper jack, not the one you get in the spare wheel from VW), grab the wheel and attempt to rock it. There should be little/no play. If there is, that's probably your answer! :)