Lupo GTI front shock advice

Hi I'm Steven, I own a 2001 lupo GTI in red. The car is standard. I have recently replaced the driveshafts due to a vibration under load in 4th/5th gear. This was traced to worn inner CV joints.

While I was at it I went to town and replaced the rotten lower arms, new ball joints (from VW) as motor factors dont recognise the difference with GTI ones and others. I also replaced both front shocks as the originals have 100k on them. However since i have replaced them I have 2 degress of negative camber and it is the limit of adjustment. The guy doing the alignment was pulling his hair out.

I have since found out that the GTI (6E) has different shocks. I assume the difference is a larger mounting to allow for the wider track and off set the wider lower ball joints.

Andrew Page again dont recognise that the GTI has different shocks. Has anyone else experienced this, if so what is the answer. New shocks from VW??? these are twice the price of Monroe and they are on back order anyway.

I have read that people had the same problem with coilovers and have elongated the bolt holes in the strut mountings to allow the extra movement.

I have spoken to Andrew Pages and they will take the Shocks back as they are not fit for purpose. However the only option I have then is to refit the old shocks which seem fine but must be worn.

Any advice is appreciated.

Brill I got quoted with a discount around 160 the pair from VW. It seems that people experience the same problem with coil overs and they open out the holes to allow extra movement. I wonder what is unique about the GTI struts is it the extra material on the mounting point or is it down to damping?

Yesi agree but they dont make GTi specific shocks. The mounting point has more to it, to off set the extra width of the bottom ball joint and the overall wider track. With out the extra width you get a car that has 2 degrees of negative camber making the car very twitchy! I have found that the only company that do after market GTI specific shocks are Bilstein but these are very pricey.

It seems that people suffer the same problems with Coilovers so elongate the bolt holes. VW spent lots of money of R&D so i trusted their experience and put originals back on and it has been transformed.