Lupo SDI 1.7 Good Price?

Landroverwolf

sold my V reg SDI S with 87k for 1.5k

OK. Just checked it out. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping. I really like it so this will probably make or break whether I have it (That and the fact I'm waiting on a call from the insurance):

1. It was quite loud when ticking over. It seemed like loud vibration and you could feel. It disappeared when driving but it was very loud when just idling. Is this a common thing with 1.7 SDI's? Is it a problem, or is it normal? Don't think it was the road.

2. I don't drive a Lupo anymore, but I do drive a Passat every day. I found getting it into first quite difficult at one point, although the next time I tried it, it was fine. Sign of the gearbox packing up or just me?

3. There was definitely some bubbling on the roof that I didn't spot originally. Big problem?

Everything else was fine and it was pretty well kept.

Would you recommend the 1.7? Did you sell it because you didn't like it, or because you went for something a bit more porky?

Thanks again

its a non turbo diesel, so they do sound rather agricultural, look underneath at the exhaust, look for holes, (easy to spot from the soot that escapes)

mine would have a little rattle at idle, no big deal, could investigate engine mounts for wear, but most likely its normal.

and that's usually just the linkages, mine was like that for the 25k of my ownership. I even changed the clutch, and not much difference.

i sold it because i wanted a MK2 golf, I always did.

A nice diesel one popped up, and I couldn't buy the golf and keep the lupo, thus the lupo was sold.

yes id happily buy another, they are never going to set lap times around the Nurburgring, but would get you across the UK on £30 diesel.

right little Motorway Whores.

its a non turbo diesel, so they do sound rather agricultural, look underneath at the exhaust, look for holes, (easy to spot from the soot that escapes)

mine would have a little rattle at idle, no big deal, could investigate engine mounts for wear, but most likely its normal.

and that's usually just the linkages, mine was like that for the 25k of my ownership. I even changed the clutch, and not much difference.

i sold it because i wanted a MK2 golf, I always did.

A nice diesel one popped up, and I couldn't buy the golf and keep the lupo, thus the lupo was sold.

yes id happily buy another, they are never going to set lap times around the Nurburgring, but would get you across the UK on £30 diesel.

right little Motorway Whores.

Great response.

So you reckon the agricultural feel is normal. As I said, it was just a slight vibration at tickover, it didn't feel major but it's the first Lupo SDI I've ever sat in so I wouldn't know. However you reckon thats normal? 1+ for going for the SDI Lupo then!

Also, I figured the gearbox might be a little tight. The 1.0E Petrol I drove had a very loose gearbox but I guess each one is different.

As it's for daily use, long distance I'm very close to buying it at this point. What kind of MPG are we looking at? I noticed someone on eBay claimed 72MPG, is that likely?

sold my V reg SDI S with 87k for 1.5k

Are you the guy I bought mine from??

You called James... Its done 87k...its vreg... Sdi s... All coincidental!?

Bit the bullet and bought it, got it for 1k in the end.

All good so far, drives really well. Surprised at how well it pulls at the mid range (40-60) and in top gear. Put an OBD scanner on it, no error codes or issues from what I can see so far which is good.

A couple of questions:

1. When I unlock the passenger side door, the driver side door doesn't unlock and the internal light doesn't switch on. When I open the driver side door the entire car unlocks and the internal light switches on. Is this a common thing for Lupo's? It doesn't bother me particularly, just a bit strange. The flashing red immobilizer light stays activated if I open it from the passenger side door as well, is this to be expected?

2. The ignition key has a little VW badge which is actually a button (the old one was just a moulded VW badge). Like it pushes in and out. It doesn't unlock the car. I have a feeling it's just a torch because there is a little LED by the looks of it at the bottom but I'm just wondering. What is it likely to be? If it's remote central locking, have I just knackered it by taking the button battery out lol?! I know it probably isn't because it was far too easy to open but just checking.

3. What is the optimal tick over? According to my OBD it's idling at about 920ish at the moment, but I reckon at 1000 it'd idle much much smoother. Is 920 about right or is it slightly too low?

Anything else anyone wants to suggest for it let me know. I've been reading about remapping it for even greater economy, is that a good idea?

Thanks

Edited by Landroverwolf

900 ish is fine, 1000 would be way to high!

the key has an LED

and maybe there's an issue with the lock mechanism? my passenger door would unlock everything

on the motorway expect high 70 figures.

i managed 79mpg in mine on a motorway trip!

just stick to 100kmph

Are you the guy I bought mine from??
You called James... Its done 87k...its vreg... Sdi s... All coincidental!?

yep, Im sure you will agree, they are very agricultural

900 ish is fine, 1000 would be way to high!

the key has an LED

and maybe there's an issue with the lock mechanism? my passenger door would unlock everything

on the motorway expect high 70 figures.

i managed 79mpg in mine on a motorway trip!

just stick to 100kmph

yep, Im sure you will agree, they are very agricultural

Will take that on board. Won't mess with the tick over ;) 79mpg is rather tempting :P

OK, I think it might be the mechanism. It works, but it's not without fault. I will probably start another thread about it

• Key in driver side door, locks drivers side door and passenger side door.
  • Key in passenger door unlocks passenger door only, and doesn't disable the immobilizer.
  • Pressing the lock button on the inside of the drivers door locks the drivers door, but the passenger door locks then unlocks straight away, so basically locks driver only.
  • Pressing the unlock button on the inside of the drivers door, unlocks both doors (assuming I've pressed the peg down on the passenger door so both doors are actually locked).

I tried a couple of tricks for the Passat forum but as their central locking is newer, I imagine they won't have any influence on this. Anyone got any ideas how to fix this? As I said, I'm not bothered that much, although I've been tempted to set the Autolock function on the VAGCOM, which I imagine won't work with it in this state.

As I said, will probably open a new thread about it. I'm not greatly bothered because at the end of the day, the car was 1k, it's a damned good car and the central locking isn't the most important thing in the world.

Mines a 1.7, sounds like a john deer so shouldn't be any problems with the noise, maybe just needs an oil change or a top up as it will rattle more when idling if needing an oil change as mine does atm but buggered if i'm doing it in the snow :) Running 10W 40 Oil at the mo too, good all rounder

I picked mine up for £1,250 but mine has a nasty scrape on the rear passenger quarter and is an 03 reg, needed a few pannels seeing to here and there. Sounds like you picked yourself up a good nice little car :)