Audio advice please :)

right well, At the moment im running a standard lupo set up, and a auto-changer in the boot.

today i went and picked up a load of FREE audio gear from my uncle,

This consists of:

2x Polk EX692 (6X9)

2x Polk EX500 (door speakers, Crossovers and tweets incl)

1x Phoenix Gold M25 Series 2 (Amp)

1x Kenwood Amp (used to Power Sub)

& Most of the appropriate wiring!

Now ive never heard of Polk before but ive been told that there really expensive & good Quality stuff!

and ive heard lots of good things over the internet about the amps too!

Now i know Very little about in car audio but i plan on running all of this along with a sub.

(Not sure if il use separate sub amp or not tbh)

I also plan on using this all with a Gamma HU with appropriate Connectors!

( Not a big fan of aftermarket units )

anyway, i've thought about it in my head and this is how i thought about running it,

From Hu to amp, then from the amp il power the 6X9S and the SUB

Not 100% on what to do with the doors though. Should i just use the factory wiring into the crossover and then just mount them? or run them from amp?

Also if i used factory wiring what would i do with the factory tweeters? I don't want to remove them as i like the way they sit in the dash so my new ones will be mounted on the doors, but when i wire them up do i just put the wire from the Standard speaker into the crossover or is it also involving the tweeters wires too?

Cheers,

James

Edited by James827

If it was me, I wouldn't bother with the 6x9's. Amp up the front speakers and sub and they should be more than adequate.

With the wiring, for how long it takes, it really is worth sticking some new speaker cables in the front and just tucking away the factory wiring.

And with tweeters (if they're small enough) you can take the mesh off of the factory tweeters and cover up the new ones so it still looks OEM!

i don't actually have a sub yet mind. I was gonna wire up the door speakers, then when i got money for more wiring etc id do the 6x9s then when i could afford a sub id wire that up?

where are all the OE connections between the tweeters and the door speakers made?

like, for now i want to wire up the door speakers and tweets, so il use the crossovers i got with the new speakers, where would i wire in the "Amplifer" on the standard car wiring to the crossover? would it be from the door speaker? or where the OE door speaker and OE tweeter meet? If so where is this?

I'm guessing the amps going in the boot, so you'll need to run speaker cable from the amp to the new speakers in the front. Then its up to you, you can either join into the existing wiring or add new cables. I'm not 100% but I think the factory speaker wires go:

input --> main speaker --> tweeter.

The only downside of this is that you'll either have to put the new crossovers in your doors or join multiple cables together and put them in the car somewhere. (More connections = poorer sound quality)

Hope this helps!

yeah i understand what you mean, i found where the wire goes into the door ans then to the speaker, so il nip it off there and mount the crossovers in the tray (where a glovebox would be) at each end. and then run some nice speaker cable up the the tweeters and then to the door.

I dont have the Proper wiring for the sub & amp yet, but il be powering the door speakers with an amp when i get all of that sorted.

also what colours posotive and which is negative? i think the passingers side is blue and brown and the drivers side is red and somthing?

I've been looking at doing this. What i was going to do is put the amp under the passenger seat, then run the cables up into the dash. Put the crossovers in under the dash, then just run new wires out to the door speakers and up to the tweeters in the dash, bypassing the factory wiring completely.

I did it slightly differently in the passat as both the woofers and tweets are mounted on the door, so ran the main feed to the crossover which was mounted under the doorcard.

The speakers cables split off (to speakers and tweeters) in the footwells i think.

i thought this as the standard wriring only had two cables going ino the speaker (Unless wired in series)

i removed some screws and half removed the T peice on the dash. the part of the tray, not the vent (Moved it out of the way) and i could see where it goes into the door, but i could not find the tweeters wiring as the heater motor was in the way. im seriously concidering doing it just after the plug that goes into the sterio and then i know its just a direct out.

I spoke to Lupo-Joe about this last night as i noticed hes added componets to his car, and he just used the wiring that went to the door speaker, and he said it works fine. so i dont know what would be best, becuase obviously theres some sort of crossover thing there as standard sending the high frequencies to the standard tweeters and the rest to the speakers. so if i just unplugged standard tweets, and then wired my crossovers into the door speaker wires would i be loosing the higher frequesncies as thy are being sent elswhere? or would it be a case of because the circuit is not complete for the OE tweeter all the signal would go down the standard speaker wire?

Edited by James827

Theres no crossover in the loom, the tweeters have built in crossovers (standard items that is). Im running alpine coaxials with crossovers in my doors and the standard tweeters with their built in crossovers on the dash. All standard wiring, no problems presented :)

Theres no crossover in the loom, the tweeters have built in crossovers (standard items that is). Im running alpine coaxials with crossovers in my doors and the standard tweeters with their built in crossovers on the dash. All standard wiring, no problems presented :)

so thats what that resistor and guff is on the back of the OE tweeters?

woulld there be any improvment in me adding in my new ones?

because i was gunna just remove the oe tweeter from its grill and put mine in with the grill over the top so it looks better.

and then just wire down to the crossover.

il probably get these in or well atleast started later today after i pop out and get the spacer rings.

Edited by James827

i imagine there would be an improvement, but.... You would have to run new cable to your tweeter from your new crossovers, i couldn't be arsed. I actually like the standard blaupunkts :P

Being crazy helpful today, took some pictures so they should help.

New tweeter.

lupo_stereo_by_dannicowley-d4td0sd.jpg

Hidden!

lupo_stereo_by_dannicowley-d4td0jj.jpg

Moved some panels under the dash to show some wires etc. But where my crossovers are those panels flex enough to reveal a void where my crossovers are both placed. :)

lupo_stereo_by_dannicowley-d4td0pc.jpg

Tweeter cables are surprisingly easy to run!

lupo_stereo_by_dannicowley-d4td0nk.jpg

Edited by IlsonDanni

those pictures have unfortunatly not loaded right :( but when they do i imagine they will be just what i need, cheers :) im off to halfords to get some speaker adapters (im guessing the golf ones are the same) and then il set to work on this! cheers.

well as impatient as i am, halfords did not have the adapter rings but i went ahead with the notion of il just wire up the speaker later and well i got carried away and the one side is all mounted, but because i have no spacer ring the speakers only just held in. i have the spacer rings on order and when they come il solder up some of the wires i spliced together and then it will be all neat and tidy.

from having the one speaker in i can say

1. DAMN theres loads of clarity! :shifty:

2. there's not as much bass as before?

3. slight volume drop

when i fit the correct spacer rings will i then get the bass and the little bit of volume back?

well as impatient as i am, halfords did not have the adapter rings but i went ahead with the notion of il just wire up the speaker later and well i got carried away and the one side is all mounted, but because i have no spacer ring the speakers only just held in. i have the spacer rings on order and when they come il solder up some of the wires i spliced together and then it will be all neat and tidy.

from having the one speaker in i can say

1. DAMN theres loads of clarity! :shifty:

2. there's not as much bass as before?

3. slight volume drop

when i fit the correct spacer rings will i then get the bass and the little bit of volume back?

How're they wired up and powered?

Factory wiring and from the head unit?

1. Good!

2. Maybe down to the fact that they're not fixed into position so you can't feel the bass/vibrations.

3. Without any doubt, you'll need to re set-up your head unit for your new speakers.

The hard part's swapping the door speakers, the easy part's putting the Amp in!

Get it done! ;)

Edited by IlsonDanni

How're they wired up and powered?

Factory wiring and from the head unit?

1. Good!

2. Maybe down to the fact that they're not fixed into position so you can't feel the bass/vibrations.

3. Without any doubt, you'll need to re set-up your head unit for your new speakers.

The hard part's swapping the door speakers, the easy part's putting the Amp in!

Get it done! ;)

its a standard Beta HU. (Want to keep it OEM. Plus i like my cd changer!)

i just used the amp input on crossover connected to the original door speaker wiring, then from the crossover i wired up everything else.

i just unplugged the stock tweeters and separated them for the stealth look grills

(and yeah, these new tweeters are REALLY noticeable! i was pleasantly surprised!)

i will be getting my amps in, but my stock door speakers have really bad foam and its all split.

i thought i had a loose door card for months then i took it off the other day and it all became clear ahah

Il also be getting a Gamma HU to run the RCA outs for the amps.

Not entirely sure what amps to use for what.

my uncle had the Phoenix gold running door speakers and 6x9s and then the kenwood amp running a "Bazooka" bass tube?

Apparently it used to sound nuts!

Not sure where to mount them too. i would like under the seats but i have the "Pop up seats" and i can see this damaging wiring!

But yeah, i only had time to do the one side, but the other side wont take long now i know what i'm doing! i wont hack out the other speaker till my adapters arrive.

Edited by James827

Is that a 4 channel or 2 channel amp?

I'm using a 4 channel, with the rear outputs bridged for my sub.

I wanted mine hidden as well, so under the boot carpet I've attached some plywood with my amp bolted to that. It's all completely hidden and I've still got my spare wheel in as well!

Im not eniterly sure, i know the Kenwood one has a left and right channel, and the other one has outputs for two speakers or bridged.

Like i said i got all of this second hand so there was no manuals or speaker templates for anything.

i have found the manual online for the kenwood one so i know a bit about that one but the other one is a bit of a mystery.

and good call on the spare wheel well thing. i currently have my socket set stashed in there on-top of my spare, but i can see me redoing the boot floor with something thicker as mines sagging a little anyway

My amp's pretty big so you should be able to fit those 2 amps underneath, and it's only on some 4mm plywood and doesn't sag!

False floor kinda thing?

Been meaning to do this is mine for a while but never got round to it.

yeah i was thinking about the false floor kinda route, but im not 100%. i keep things like tools and overalls and work boots in my car (Studying to be a mechanic) so i kinda need a rough and ready boot to take my stuff.

i will probably make a new parcel shelf and run the kenwood amp (Smallest size of the two) powering some 6x9s and then il look into subs in the future.

The Phoenix gold is actually a pretty large and heavy amp so im not entirety sure if i could fit it under the wheel well its almost as big as my laptop! (15")

ergh, my speaker frame things came today and i eyeballed them up and it all appeared to fit, mounted the ring to the car (AFTER DOING ALL THE WIRING) and the speaker wont fit. its to bloody small!

im so unbelievably annoyed at the moment.

im going out tommorow to buy a set of new speakers as i have no way of playing music in my car at the moment.

its all there just need to plug it in.

with coaxials, is there just another tweeter?

and if i run these through my crossovers it wont make it too tinny and thin sounding?

:surprised: How big were your speakers then, not 6 1/2" ?

Yeah they don't have a separate tweeter, its built into it.

In theory the crossover should block out the high frequencies inputted into the main speaker so the tweeter may/may not make any sound at all.

Can't really say!

i ended up buying some Vibe slicks (Components) and just putting the woofers in. and no, they were 13cm diameter. and these are like 16.5cm

it all good and working now, but i am getting a bit of distortion at higher volumes? (Not ridiculous, but more than you'd expect for the volume)

Im guessing this is the HU fault?

and im guessing the sooner i get my amp wired up powering them it will stop!