Chassis Mod

Tigz™

so for me who doesnt want much drop....if i had them at full extension (35mm on the FK's) theyd settle to around 45 or so for the front.....

dunno bout the rear, id wind them on a bit cos the back end is always a bit high so maybe 45 to sag to about 55mm drop?

do the fks help bodyroll much at speed (dunno if youd be able to help with that one tigz)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes mate, even though my anti roll bar is almost non exsistant there very little roll.

I think I GTi should be about right with coilovers as the standard ARB is pretty strong.

As for the ride hieght, Id say a -50mm Front and -60mm rear is about perfect matey.

Here's one for ya - my mate reckons that when dropping Renault 5GTT's, you have to adjust the ABS settings also as the lower car changed the way the system reacted, causing the rear wheels to lock.

Does this make any sense, and if so, should the same apply to our cars?

Im sat on the bump stops though so when I cut them two things may happen.

1. Nothing

2.drop a little further.

I will definatly drop more. It happend to me and havent dropped it that much. You need to measure how much travel you have left on the shocks. (Make sure you leave some bump stop there )You don't want to bottom the shocks out or they wont last very long! I think koni should have made shorter shocks so you can maitain some travel when you lower it. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Here's one for ya - my mate reckons that when dropping Renault 5GTT's, you have to adjust the ABS settings also as the lower car changed the way the system reacted, causing the rear wheels to lock.

What your mate is referring to is the brake bias valve. It is a valve that measures the rear ride height and varies the braking force for the rear brakes. When the car is loaded up and the rear suspension is sat low the valve opens and allows more braking force to the rear.

What happens when you lower the car is that the valve thinks the car has more weight in the back due to the lower ride height. The valve allows more braking force to the rear brakes but because there is not actually any more weight in the back (its just lower) the rear brakes can lock up.

Very dangerous as its like yanking the handbrake on...my mate has crashed 2 Corsa's for this very reason.

Nothing to do with ABS and does not seem to affect the Lupo. My Gti has been lowered 80mm for about 2 years now and has uprated brakes and the rear wheels do not lock up and the ABS does not keep cuting in to the rears either so I wouldnt worry too much.

It happens on mk2 golfs. You have to loosen a nut on the rear bias valve and adjust it for the height it at or you can lock the back wheels. It happened to me on my ax gt when i was braking while cornering. Like doing a handbrake skid. It doesn't affect the lupo either.