Chassis Mod

Tigz™

A big issue with Lowering a Lupo is the o/s drive shaft is very long, due to the location of the gearbox so once lowered the angle the shaft sits at causes it to catch on the chassis.

After speaking to Clifford at Edition 38, I desided to get onwith it.

Im not confident enough with a welder to take this on my self, but wanted to do as much as possable.

The plan is, to cut out a section of the sqare box section, and replace it with an arch for the drive shaft to be ble to sit into.

To do this, we will need to cut a pipe in half to give us a perfect arch.

The Tube Im useing is about 3mm thick and 3" in diamiter.

really heavy, really oily, bloody perfect!

670Picture_51_-med.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

This is not a job to do on your own, or if you get frightened easily.

Inside the box section is crap loads of wax oil.

To those who dont know this stuff is as flamable as you can get, all I was thinking was if the catches fire again I'll never live the shame down lol

Anyway its quite simple. If your alright with a grinder (my job) and a Mig welder.

Marked up the shape useing the pipe and the depth of each side (its narrower the further forward you go) then off to the vice to grind out the shape.

While I was doing this, Derren started cutting the arch shape out of the chassis leg.

He used a drill to get the shape, and was going to use a burner untill we saw the amount of wax, so it got finished with the drill also.

670Picture_50_-med.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Next job was to remove all excess wax, and remove the rubber grommets incase we need to put out any fires in the box section.

Spot welded the cut out section of pipe, then shaped the 3mm thick piece to the leg.

Quick check and he seam welded it up.

Needs two of you, as one needs to be fire watching from start to finish.

Once all the seams were welded, we cut out a plate, to replace the strenthaning plate we had to cut through.

670Picture_57_-med.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Next job was to grind down the plates, to try and hide the welds a little (still 18 months warrenty remember!

Just picked up a can of stone chip paint to cover the arch before painting it.

670Picture_58_-med.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

As I said, it is a REALLY worrying job but well worth it. Ever guy in the garage was giving the useal "never gonna pass an MOT" so first thing Monday, I'll be putting it through an MOT just to shut up the doubters.

Supprisenly, due to the thickness of the pipe used, the chassis leg will be stronger nopw than it was before we started.

?50 all in!!!

Big thanks to Wilson Transport Refridgation for having the guts to take this job on with me.

Editted to put all the info together.

Edited by Tigz

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As yet no.. was gonna call you Tim, the guy finishes work at 6pm, so should still be able to make it and get this done.

Our workshops only open till 12pm on a saturday so its gonna be done before then, other wise we'll be welding in the rain lol

I think maybe an inch, but Im gonna give myself 1.5 inch just to be sure.

I think a 70mm drop at the front would be ust right, should still be drivable, but so long as theres enough clearnce, it'll give me room when I get bored of the ride hieght and drop it further! lol

i think we will be the first in this country to do it to a Lupo.

Although the idea came from car modding super God Clifford.

It doesnt look like a very big job, should be done star to finish in an hour.

Wish us look!

i will be having mine done next year some time, it pathetic that you cant go lower on the front sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

or atleast couldnt smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> will be interested to c what the outcome is like andi smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

So will I mate.

Although I phoned Auto Concepts today (`7-10` days later) and they said that they havn't arrived yet.

If they come early next week and the chassis has been done, I dunno if I could wait fr the weekend after!

I belive the FK coils will drop -70mm, I take it, if you remove the ajuster it will lower it a little more is that right?

I have FK coilovers and think i am about `70-75mm` lower all round.

Wheels are 45 offset 17's and sure that any lower is not possible at the front.

Rear doesnt rub and has about 15mm left on adjusters so could go lower.

Front wheels sometimes just touch the wing lip on hard cornering (ive modified both wings and liners remember) but still tight. Probly about 50mm left of adjustment though.

Ok the pipe work has arrived, got it for free as an offcut, but theres about 2ft!

I only need 6 inch so if I can be arsed to cut it up they'll be enough for 3 pieces.

One of them is cliffords as I know he'll be doing his soon, so if anyone wants a piece your welcome to it next time we meet.

Looks pretty strong, cutting it up aint gonna be easy with a cutting tool.

I know its gonna work but im startng to poo my pants lol

Got to get it done though as I called Auto Concepts and the coils have arrived today.

they are going to send them out on a Saturday delivery for me, as Iv got to get to Max's on Sunday to get them fitted.

Getting really fooking excited!