Hello from NZ

Filx

Yeah it wasn't quite as strict in the old days to get a damaged car on the road down here. But we have a lot of used cars that are imported to NZ (mainly from Japan like mine) and there was quite a lot of damaged cars getting brought in damaged, then cheaply and poorly repaired, and flicked on as good condition cars to unsuspecting owners. So the government tightened up a lot.

Not really an issue for us as I'm building the car for my lady so no shortcuts will be taken. Still I suspect that with the air bag thing, air frieght etc, it might only end up a wee bit under what a non damaged car would have cost. Especially as our dollar has strengthened considerably against the Yen in the last 3 months.

But I can't complain - it's been a tonne of fun so far! Hell it's worth it just imagining the day I screw the license plates on for the first time and go for a cruise around the waterfront! The look on people faces when we roll by and they're like, "WTF is that?!?!?!" Hahhaahaaaaa

Another quick update. Dash and airbags are all in and appear to fit well. All the rest of the interior is back in also. All work done by a friend of mine (I was too busy at work to help). Car goes to the panelbeater on Monday for the chassis work. Essentially then we fit all the new parts on to test fit them, then take apart again to paint and re-assemble. Then there's just the engineers inspection, government paper work and then........... wath out! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

All right team. Another small update............ and she's getting pretty close to getting some pics taken of her!!!

All the chassis work has been done. All the panels were test hung to check the fit, panel gaps, etc and then disassembled again - everything was spot on. Just waiting for the new bumper to arrive as it was delayed. New windscreen also ordered at the same time as the old one had a tiny crack in it. And I've comissioned a little extra "work" to be done on the boot lid which should be nice ;-) So then she's in for paint as soon as the bumper arrives - hopefully this week!

Edited by Filx

• 3 weeks later...

Where abouts in New Zealand are you? I'm chasing a job in Auckland and have been working out how to get my GTI into the country. I was hoping I'd be the only one there, but I guess not...

I see what you mean about the whole government and safety thing - I have to prove that the Lupo's got a "sufficient" frontal impact rating to be able to import it, and it's not on the NZ gov's list - so I have to speak to someone in VW in NZ. I think I'll wait to see if I get the job before going any further down that road...

Deek.

Sourcing parts wasn't too bad - helped by some having contacts in the trade and extensive use of the internet. I tried to get everything I could brand new with the exception of a few things like the dash, airbags, etc which came from Andy at Auto Spares & Salvage in Northampton, UK (very helpful guys - big thanks to Andy and the team!).

The suprisingly expensive parts were to do with the lights. I couldn't believe it - I was quoted NZ$700 for the light unit (the platic bit), NZ$600 for the relay and NZ$900 for the bulb. $900 for a bulb - I mean WTF?!?!?!!! I ended up having to buy the light unit, we used a none OEM Xenon bulb for NZ$100, and an used A4 relay (slightly modified to fit) from Ebay USA for about NZ$200.

dxg - I'm in Auckland. You will have no problem bringing your Lupo here (aside from all the organising and running around) and getting it road reg'd. Have a look here if you haven't already http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/importing/index.html