Inner CV joint on GTI can't find a boot that fits! driveshaft wrong? Joint wrong?

GTI Roberto

Hi guys,

changing the CV boot on my lupo gti and the new kit i have from GKN don't fit the CV joint properly, it is the right looking type with the metal flange on the end that bolts onto the gearbox drive flange bit it has a bigger circumference than the CV joint so doesn't fit snug. GSF, EURO and MOTOR PARTS DIRECT all quote the sizes that the new boot is at 94mm. however I have measured the boot that came off at 89mm.

My suspicions:

The driveshaft was replaced previous to my ownership (could it be the wrong part?)

The part isn't from VW however all places like euro and GSF say the same part and its from GKN!

Is the CV joint different?

Im starting to think the driveshaft is wrong? or the CV joint is wrong?

There was also no gasket in-between the old joint and the drive flange which everywhere states including VW, haynes etc that there should be one, and theres one in the new kit!!!!!

WHATS GOING ON!

the CV joint is the ball and cage type, is this right?

Any help would be great!

The VW part number is 1K0 498 201 B - £28.64 inc vat from VW

Sadly ETKA doesn't give me dimensions, but you should also change the hub bolt

N905 876 02 - £9.90 inc vat

I know parts can be a little more expensive (and I work as a parts advisor for a main dealer!) but VW stuff always fits and there's no guessing!