Do I need a new gearbox?

Rebel_DaN

Hi guys my lupo is playing up again, one day i had a squeling noise coming from the front wheels. The next day it sounded like a graunching noise then it felt like the passenger side wheel was about to fall off! The car rolled ok when I had the clutch in ( I think) it was mainly when power was being transfered to the wheels. Gear change is fine. I stripped off the driveshaft ( that wasnt easy!) the bearing nearer the gear box is not like one I have seen before heres a pic:

20140625_114059.jpg

all the bearings have the same grooves so I guess its pretty uniform and supposed to be like that?

This bit that powers the drive shaft ( transfer diff? I dunno the correct terminology?) Is very hard to turn by hand and the resistance doesnt feel the same as im rotating it. Is this repairable or is it easier to get a second hand gearbox?

20140625_114028.jpg

Thanks for looking

I agree with rich, check the bearings, both are easy to check.

Wheel Bearing;

Jack car up (safely), place hands at 12 and 6 (So top and bottom) and shake, if the wheel moves more than a couple of mm then it could be on its way out. Turn the wheel feeling for and grinding, if you notice any then the bearing is definitely on its way out.

Clutch Release Bearing;

Start car

Listen for noise, generally a squeaking/tapping/grinding noise.

Press clutch pedal, if noise changes (Either will disappear or become noticeably worse) then its a likely bet it could have failed - note you do not have to be in gear for this test.

Also probably best to check the history, when the last service was done, belts etc as it might be time to do the whole lot!

Best of luck!

cheers for the replies guy, I checked the wheel bearings they had very little play if any. There was no noises when stationary either in gear with clutch pressed down. Its was when the car was rolling in gear with clutch released. Then it was proper clunking and jerking the car about, I guess Id had best take the gearbox off and have a poke about. Service history on the car is pretty good. I guessing that I can remove the gearbox with the car jacked up?

Yeah but trust me from experience, they're a pain! Get it as high as possible (SAFELY) on axle stands not a ramp as its easier to remove by also disconnecting the top of the hubs to pull the shafts out of the way more. (It's not necessary but IMO it's easier.)

Best of luck!