Seat title cable/handle

Jspencer

Hi everyone,

So I have an X reg Lupo, and the seat cable that operates the tilt function just snapped. I read somewhere this could be an MOT failure? and whilst I don't have that for a while, I do use the tilt function an awful lot.

I did some investigating and it looks as though the cable in the drivers seat has rusted and snapped, a small metal clip came out when I took the trim away so it may well have been rubbing on something after this broke off. I know there are two runs of cable, one to the far side (handbrake side), and one to the near side (drivers door side). It is the stretch by the door which has snapped.

How do I go about fixing this? I gather I'll need to get into the actual handle at some point...had a poke around but couldn't figure how to remove this.

any advice that will save me messing around and breaking things would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Spence

Edited by Jspencer

Did a bit of googling the links are not for lupos put can't be too different I would think

"The lever at the top of the seat allows the seat to tilt; that is all the top leaver does.

The reason the seat slides is because the cable at the bottom of the seat is pulled and lifts the seat locking system. The cable is attached to the locking system at one end and the rear end of the cable is attached to the bottom of the seat back.

Therefore when the seat angles forward it pulls the locking track pin up out of the track.

The whole force of this cable is held by a plastic clip. Not unsurprisingly this plastic clip fails. That is why tilting the seat does not allow the seat to slide.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/154853-fabia-vrs-seat-cover-removal/

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/96924-lupo-driver-seat-tilt-release-failed/

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f4js97n73tbm35tqih4t4ff4u7&topic=37400.0

Thanks fellas, cheers for the tutorials jgee! I've done a bit of investigating and I think it's possible to actually do a bit of bodge to get the function back. Not sure if it's going to work but I'm thinking of threading a bike brake cable through (so I can feed it though all the clips) and then clamping it at the end with an electrical bolt from one of those joining strips. I may post on here if it turns out to work.

Problem is that the cables come with weird S shaped ferrules at the end,which I'm assuming are stamped on after it's been fed through all the mechs. Could be a bit of pain to work with one of them, but I suppose a trip to the VW garage to price it up won't cost anything.

Also got my heater controls working again, for £10 it's nice not to only have setting 4 and have the air push back my face at G force levels haha