MK1 Arosa Engine Issues?

Recently I went to have a look at a 1999 MK1 Arosa 1.0.

The bodywork was mint and I took it for a test drive and everything seemed perfect. (Gears, Clutch, Engine getting up to temp just fine and idle'd spot on)

Upon further inspection I fount this:Screenshot_2013-12-17-11-04-52_zps1f8c1d

Now usually I would turn around and walk away at the sight of this but when I tried to take off the coolant cap it was stuck solid asif it had not been open in ages. After a bit of brute force the cap finally opened and showed coolant inbetween the min and max markers. The car did not smoke either when it was driven or rev'ed up. The seller of the vehicle was a old man who said he used the car to go to the shops etc.

What do you guys think? Steer clear? Or give 500 quid for this 1999 Seat Arosa 1.0 MPI With a Years MOT and 6 Months Tax?

Also I see that around the lip was a bit of fresh oil, maybe this could indicate the oil cap seal had perished and is letting in moisture? I wouldnt have thought the mayo would be caused by the crankcase breather hose as wouldnt this make the car idle like crap?

Gunk can gather up on the oil cap if the car isn't used much, think it's condensation. It happened on my lupo when I did a load of short journeys in a month but then a few motorways drives and a 100 mile round trip cleared it up.

Also if the water level is fine and there's no gunk/oil in there you should be ok.

Maybe use it as an excuse to knock them down £100 or so? :thumbsup:

I'm guessing if the car is used for short journeys you could get mayo in the oil cap too. Like said above, condensation forms and then finds its way to the top.

I suggest knocking him down a few quid, cleaning it off (carefully), then taking the car for a good long thrash. Old people aren't the best for driving cars at their optimum performance. They usually drive slowly, in too high a gear despite the fact the car feels like its rattling to pieces (as they were taught to do many moons ago), and have the heaters on full blast blowing what little hot air is in the engine bay, straight into the cabin... oh and short short (probably unnecessary :P) journeys. "me and Mrs Applebee are just popping the shops at the top of the street to get some postage stamps"....

.....all of which are good ways to stop your engine warming up to the correct temperature.

Knock him down, take it for a thrash, then perhaps consider changing your oil. It might be due a service anyway!!

Edited by Skezza