Engine dies sometimes on low gears

I have a 1.4 Lupo.

Everything seems fine with it besides one problem that comes occasionally.

Sometimes when I have been driving for a while on higher speeds, then when I slow down the engine dies.

This usually happens when I come to an intersection and have to make a turn.

Example:

I drive 90 km/h for about 5 minutes.

I approach an intersection and prepare to make a right turn, so I slow down to 20 km/h.

As I turn the steering wheel, I notice that the engine is off and the battery light is turned on.

Once I start the engine again, everything is fine.

I found this old thread that seems to discuss the same or at least similar problem:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/10774-engine-cut-out-when-changing-to-1st-gear/

Unfortunately the links in that thread do not work anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong with my baby?

Any help appreciated.

Hmm, guessing on scans?

Ours recently cut out the other day and it was the Camshaft sensor, whether thats your problem I don't know, but I was coming down a hill when it happened

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/96819-how-to-camshaft-sensor-replacement/ guide there if you fancy changing it anyway, but that guide is for a 1.0

• Like 1

Thanks danoid!

Nice guide.

Was you problem intermittent like mine, or was the sensor completely dead?

How did you figure out that the camshaft sensor was to blame?

Does anyone know where the camshaft sensor is located on a Lupo 1.4?

Well my circumstances were slightly different, I was coming down a hill and nothing, lights came on and I was like WTF, so had to turn key to off position and turn back on qucikly.

Got home and scanned in and was this

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16706/P0322/000802

Didn't fancy chancing it again, so just replaced it, been fine since, but the problem may never have turned up again, who knows but for £20 i'd rather know theres a new sensor :)

Your problem may be the same, but may be different, could be timing or other things.

Not sure where the sensor would be on a 1.4 but would be in roughly the same location, though I think the 1.4 has a different orientation of engine to the 1.0

• Like 1

I found the camshaft sensor.

It is located roughly on the same spot on the 1.4 as on danoids 1.0.

There is a little less space around the sensor on the 1.4, so the cable can not be unplugged until the sensor is removed.

Other than that small detail, I think that danoids small guide is spot on even for the 1.4.

My sensor has this printed on it "056.907.601.E EL1".

(EDIT: maybe it is "036.907.601.E EL1")

I will probably order a sensor on ebay.de or wherever I will find one with the best price (I live in Sweden) and just replace it.

If someone has any other ideas of what could be wrong, please let me know.

Edited by Botanic

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't found the exact problem yet.

I did some other service on the car. The mechanic found fault code 00519.

See: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/97135-where-is-intake-manifold-pressure-sensor-g71-located/

So far I think that I have a problem with one of the sensors, most probably the intake manifold pressure sensor.

But I have not ruled out the camshaft sensor yet, or an air leak.

I will try and locate the intake manifold pressure sensor and have a physical look at it and the wires going to it, just to see if it looks damaged.

Then probably replace it.

The problem is that it is getting cold and dark outside and I don't have a garage where to work with the car.

(So if anyone has a picture of the sensor or any other tips on how I can find it quickly... ;-) )