Help needed!

I recently bought a 1.7sdi about a month ago, and had no problems during a 200 mile trip last week.

However, I went out in the car last night, at which point the red engine coolant light came on the dash.

I've read this is overheating, however the temp gauge was sat low when it came on (roughly 80's), and there is enough coolant in the tank.

Unfortunately I haven't got access to a vagcom where I am and am pretty scared to drive it!

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks

Jack.

You haven't driven it since...? hmmm, see, I was going to say it might be worth taking it for a spin till it warms up then switching the ignition off and back on. I found on my old Lupo that the float sensor inside the coolant reservoir got gummed up and started to stick when the engine cooled down. It would illuminate the light until it had warmed up. At which point, the float sensor loosened up and started to move again and would report correctly and the light would go off (assuming I switched the ignition off and back on).

Just a thought...