Power lose issues

sharpelupo

Having issues with my gti not holding charge on the battery when its not in use, its a brand new battery as it was the first thing i replaced it then last a few days and then il go to turn the engine on and its trys to start but wont (as if the battery is dead), iv tryed leaving the engine running and then disconnecting the battery to see if its possible an alternator issue, but the engine continues too run i have no idea what else it could be, iv had issues with my brake pedal switch any way thats some how draining the power?

• Like 1

Do you have a multimeter?

No havnt got a multimeter but if i got my hands on one what would i be looking for? Im assuming its the alternator isnt kick out enough to fully charge the battery, nothings been added recently, its fine for a couple of days and then one day it will just be dead

No havnt got a multimeter but if i got my hands on one what would i be looking for? Im assuming its the alternator isnt kick out enough to fully charge the battery, nothings been added recently, its fine for a couple of days and then one day it will just be dead

Check the battery voltage, then when the alt is running check the battery volt again. There is a few ways to check drain aswell I'lm sure.

iv tryed leaving the engine running and then disconnecting the battery to see if its possible an alternator issue,

if it wasnt an alternator issue it probably is now, NEVER disconnect battery while engine is running. chances are you have now fried the alternator. if car still runs, with battery connected, youre very lucky, there is a chance the voltage spikes (up to 40v) that the battery smoothes out can blow every electrical item on your car

if it wasnt an alternator issue it probably is now, NEVER disconnect battery while engine is running. chances are you have now fried the alternator. if car still runs, with battery connected, youre very lucky, there is a chance the voltage spikes (up to 40v) that the battery smoothes out can blow every electrical item on your car

Hmm s**t sounds like im extermly lucky then

an update:

went back to my car tonight after a 9hour shift and the batterys dead, put the multimeter on it and it was reading 11v which isn't enough clearly to get the car started (read up it needs 12.2v min to kick the engine over) put the jump pack on fired right up

read on the net that 'start the vehicle, turn on the head lights, and rev the engine to 2,000rpm this will draw power on your battery' and 'the voltage should go to at least 13v (which it did) if varying the RPMs cause the voltage to fluctuate between 13v and 14.5v, your alternator is in good shape; if, on the other hand, the voltage remains the same or decreases, your alternator isn't working properly'

once I did rev the engine the multimeter read 13.79 and went to 13.80 then back to 13.79 so didn't really fluctuate between 13v-14.5v? so possible alternator?