Surging/losing power-fault code

Hi guys,

My loop has been surging on idle, (ie revving up and down slightly) and randomly losing power whilst driving.

Went to pick up my car today from my mechanic only to find it's too low to get in his garage :doh:

Anyway I got the diagnostic sheet and figured i'd have a go myself- the code is:

16492- manifold/barometric pressure sensor (G71)/(F96)

P0108 - 35-00 - signal too high readiness:1000 0101

Searching the code returns:

Possible Causes
  • Wiring and/or connections faulty (Short to Plus)
  • Leak in intake and/or exhaust
  • G71 and/or F96 faulty
  • Control Module faulty

My plan of action is too-

Clean throttle body

replace plugs (haven't been done yet and at 52k)

Check all pipes not losing air

If this doesn't solve the issue:

Replace coilpack+ht leads

Replace manifold sensor

Does this plan sound sensible?anything missed?

Many many thanks,

Jack!

remove and clean the EGR valve :thumbsup:

Saw a guide on how to do this recently and forgot about it- cheers buddy!

Barometric is the MAP sensor

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16492/P0108

If the signs show it's that doing the sparks/ht leads might just be wasted money. It's always good to change them though

Yeah I saw that although the experienced VW mechanic that diagnosed it said he'd only ever changed one MAP sensor in his career, and said its more probable the sensor is receiving the wrong information caused by another issue (such as a misfire or throttle body) causing it to show up, if that makes any sense! I'll remove the MAP sensor and clean it got quoted £40 for a new one from tps :)

Ah, well tbh I dead hear that MAP's are soooo much better than MAF's and you can even use K&N oil filters with MAPs whereas MAF's you can't.

How are you using TPS? it says trade only when I try and register :(

Ah, well tbh I dead hear that MAP's are soooo much better than MAF's and you can even use K&N oil filters with MAPs whereas MAF's you can't.

How are you using TPS? it says trade only when I try and register :(

Shouldn't need to register buddy :) just go along to your local tps and have a chat with them. Not quite sure I undersstand what you mean about MAP/MAF? is there a difference? I thought the only MAP sensor was located to the rear left under the rocker cover?

Your on the right tracks, I would change the map sensor last they very rarely go wrong.

Cheers for confirming this for me mate :)

Today I replace the plugs, cleaned the throttle body and inspected the MAP sensor(no obvious visible damage)

The engine management light has now disappeared :thumbup:

However, the EPC light is still on, this leads me to believe the MAP sensor and/or brake light switch need replacing.

My rear lights work when the brake is pushed, could the brake switch still be showing as faulty even though it appears to be working ?

Thanks again!

Edited by Luppy Jack