replacing standard radio with aftermarket

hi guys

im looking to replace my standard radio/casette player in my lupo S

i need the code for the radio at the moment anyway so will this still cause me a problem if i upgrade my unit to a pioneer for example

also, with the standard aftermarket stereos will i need a fascia adapter/ DIN adapter or will it fit in the gap nicely?

(my car currently has the blaupunkt beta radio in it)

thanks

To your first question: No. If you fit an aftermarket radio, you can return the OEM one at any time. If you switch it on without starting the car, initially it won't switch on, it'll ask for the code, but if you turn the ignition on it can read the code from ECU and will start working. I usually found it was easiest to simply refit the head unit, start the car, then turn the radio on and it'll work just fine. Code is only required IF it's going to a different Lupo. Clever eh? ;)

No, it shouldn't need a fascia as such, assuming you're fitting single DIN, I assume it comes with a surround yes? That will suffice. I suggest making sure you fit it with the cage that comes with it. I've come across a couple of Lupo's where the aftermarket radio has been slid into the empty hole without a cage and held in using blu-tac etc... (nasty) It's a pointlessly ghetto way of fitting a radio, especially when the cage is easy enough to fit as it is.

If you want double DIN, the thing should come with a cage, however consider the FP-17-00 for a fresh OEM look. I did have to hack mine a bit to make it look right but now it does, I'm really chuffed with it.

You will need a wiring harness + aerial adapter/aerial booster (especially for MW).

The wiring harness you need is PC2-69-4: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-69-4-Volkswagen-Golf-Lupo-Passat-ISO-Stereo-Head-Unit-Harness-Adaptor-Lead-/160661595191?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item25682d6437

If you want the aerial booster with the adapter built in (so one piece plug and play into the radio), go for the PC5-90: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-90-VW-Golf-Polo-Passat-Bora-ISO-DIN-Aerial-Adaptor-/260806448841?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cb94696c9 (RECOMMENDED)

As opposed to the most common combination found which is PC5-52:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-52-Signal-Separation-ISO-ISO-AERIAL-ADAPTER-VW-LUPO-POLO-PASSAT-SHARAN-/290930282450?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item43bccbcfd2

And then an adapter to make that fit with the new radio:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Aerial-Connector-Convertor-Adaptor-Plug-ISO-to-DIN-/190265457224?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item2c4cb47a48

The difference being with the second combination, if you just had the adapter and no aerial booster, you could plug the aerial straight into the head unit however MW/LW would be totally non-existent. FM would work though.

Finally, I recommend you snip the ends off the blue cables on the wiring harness and the aerial booster and install bullet connectors, so they connect nice and firm as the clips they come with aren't very strong and have a tendency to wobble loose...

Good luck :)

Edited by Skezza

To your first question: No. If you fit an aftermarket radio, you can return the OEM one at any time. If you switch it on without starting the car, initially it won't switch on, it'll ask for the code, but if you turn the ignition on it can read the code from ECU and will start working. I usually found it was easiest to simply refit the head unit, start the car, then turn the radio on and it'll work just fine. Code is only required IF it's going to a different Lupo. Clever eh? ;)

When i swtich on the radio (engine off) it first flashes SAFE then looks like it wants me to input a code. default being 1000

i tried disconnecting the stereo at the back with the engine off then trying to turn it on again both with and without the engine on. everything still kept taking it to this screen

is there anything i can do or shall i head to the vw garage when i can and ask them for the code?

Like I said, you shouldn't need to. It reads the code from the ECU. Leave it connected, and drive around for a while, it will go off I'm sure.