Standard stereo ?

Can anyone explain why the radio/cd in my car just cuts off ( big crack and then no sound ) but is still all lit up ? had the drivers doorcard off and speaker is connected ok ?

Good god :( I feel for you LynseyLou this car has given you nothing but problems.

Do you have a spare aftermarket radio you could test? Is there anything that leads up to it cutting off? Does switching off and back on help? If so, you might have a faulty OEM head unit (Something I've NEVER come across)

Edited by Skezza

no it just plays the radio or cd then a loud crack ......... sound goes off ...... everything still working lights cd etc ..... switch on and off lights off then lights up still no sound , leave it ten mins or so and sometimes when switching on it works again for a short while and repeats the process !!!

Got a spare stereo but looks a daunting task getting this OEM one out ? has an oem cd player too

Probably one of the easiest OEM radios to remove although I can't speak for the CD player. I assume that's below.

I use two pieces of plastic that I cut from a debit card. there are two thin slits that you can slide them into. Once you push far enough it'll lock then you can just pull it out.

This video demonstrates perfectly

Don't push the aftermarket radio in fully. They're much harder to remove :)