Coilovers

Karl_Mac_

Righto, slightly different question to normal... Was going to put my Lupo on G60 steels with a moderate drop of 30-40mm. Seen someone else car on here with a similar set up and think it looks decent. However, nearly every lowering thread ends up with the recommendation to get coilovers as 'they're not much more £'.

I kind of get that logic, but the only thing that puts me off is I low end coilovers on my Focus ST and they're stiff as all hell. The car looks good low but its virtually undriveable on anything other than perfectly smooth roads. As the wife is the main driver of the Lupo, and she drives like a ****ing lunatic, I can't see the combination working.

So, my long winded question is, just how stiff are coilys for the Lupo? I'm guessing as the car is a lot lighter, smaller wheel base and i'll be running smaller tyres it shouldn't be as bad?

There's a definitive thread about coilovers on this forum, look for it and it'll tell u everything u need to know about coilovers and the best and what people's opinions are, I'm planning on doing the same with the g60 steelies with the brake upgrade and then coilovers. Best place to look would be this thread; forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/48860-definitive-coilover-thread/

Personally I'm saving for some KWV1's as they're the cheapest of the KW's and are a set damping rate etc, you shouldn't go for adjustable unless you really know what you're on about and also have the other mods that'll justify the adjustable damping. Tbh you don't need the adjustable damping unless you have adjustable rebound but then you're looking at about 900+ for some coilovers. Bit off on a tangent I know :P. With the focus I'm presuming you bought budget coilovers? Worst idea possible considering it will completely screw with how the car handles, as you probably know. The worse thing you could do to the lupo is to fit JOM or other budget coilovers, they're **** in every manner.

Have you thought about updated springs and dampers? Coz if you're not tracking the car (as in track use) then they're pretty pointless and just flashy :L and very expensive when compared to a good set of springs and dampers. In my opinion read the thread linked and then consider springs and dampers, you can get good ones for around 400-600 quid which is still a lot less than coilovers!

Sorry about the huge reply :P I know I waffle on in the middle! But coilovers aren't really worth it unless you drive like senna. Also if u are upgrading the suspension then get some top end tyres as the tyre affects the suspension in a huge way! :P

Edited by Mattz341

I recommend KW v1: It's worth spending the money for the ride where coilovers are concerned. However if you aren't intending on going lower than 40mm or adjusting your set up regularly, then fixed "sports" suspension from one of the major brands would probably be a better option.

Check out what is available in fixed height from the likes of Bilstein, Koni, KW...

I ran -45mm springs on my Arosa and it was great. Not crashy or too stiff and I'd be surprised it the "lady driver" even realised anything had changed.

My GTI isn't exactly low and she won't drive it around town (phew!). Though she does insist on taking her turn driving if we are going on a motorway trip.

I recommend KW v1: It's worth spending the money for the ride where coilovers are concerned. However if you aren't intending on going lower than 40mm or adjusting your set up regularly, then fixed "sports" suspension from one of the major brands would probably be a better option.

Check out what is available in fixed height from the likes of Bilstein, Koni, KW...

I ran -45mm springs on my Arosa and it was great. Not crashy or too stiff and I'd be surprised it the "lady driver" even realised anything had changed.

My GTI isn't exactly low and she won't drive it around town (phew!). Though she does insist on taking her turn driving if we are going on a motorway trip.

What did you think of the kw v1's??? I'm saving the money for them now :P not cheap!!

Been on since I bought the car @ 26k. Think they have actually been on since 7.5k. Loopy Lupo was the original owner of the car.

Great ride and a good balance between comfort and handling; though I'm not that low.

The car's just turned 56k and whilst everything is fine, they are getting a little creaky on the back and they could do with a good clean. I may however consider a new set next year.

Creaky like my knees. Not crashy like cheapos. Probably dry mounts, more than anything to do with the shock\spring.

Height; I couldn't tell you, but it seems to be a good compromise between fashion and form.

Thanks for the input guys. After taking in the whole coilover thread I think i'm going to for some 40-60 springs matched with the right dampers. Just swapped the ST onto eibach springs with bilstein dampers and its transformed the car.