Lupo GTI alarm problems

Hey all!

I've been having trouble with the alarm on my gti lately and it's really starting to bug me now...

I replaced the battery a couple of months ago as it kept going flat overnight causing the alarm to go off whenever i unlocked it. Also at car meets the alarm goes off as and when it pleases. The doors automatically lock themselves after a minute or so.

There is no sub in the car or anything i can think of causing a drain. I always keep the interior light off altogether.

The electric windows work when they want to and the central locking only works for the drivers door. The boot has to be opened by key and is really stiff to the point it wouldnt even open when unlocked tonight. The car is de-wipered on the rear.

It has been stood about a week so i checked it tonight when i got home to make sure it would start tomorrow for work. When unlocking, only the passenger side lights flashed and the alarm started to go off. I put the key in the ignition but this made no difference as the battery was completely dead.

The alarm shuts itself off after a minute or so but then started going off again about 10 seconds later regardless of whether the car was locked or not. The alarm ended up going off about 10 times. (Sorry neighbours!)

I ended up having to climb in to disconnect the battery in the boot.

I've heard a lot of problems electric wise with the lupo and was wondering if anybody has any ideas? I'm going to have a look tomorrow and try and get hold of a vagcom as i've read this may identify the problem.

Many thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Checked the battery and alternator, both charging fine. Managed to jump the car and the alarm seems ok again for now.

Noticed a load of water gathered under my battery tray in the boot though so its clearly leaking from somewhere. Possibly leaking from where it was de-wipered as i've heard thats common. Need to go find another bung for it now though as i've pushed it out and cant find it! Whooops!

Hmm, that sounds awfully like the common Passat problem, water leaks in through plenum chamber and gets into the Comfort Control Module (controls, alarm, electric windows, drains battery sometimes), and basically it's where the front passenger seat is, all the water comes in, goes to the lowest point and erodes the cables, and causes all the issues your explaining.

So first thing I'd do is get rid of the water, strip what you can from the back, get someone inside then put a hose on the back and find the cause of the issue.

I had the plenum chamber problem, also had water leaking through the door cards :(

Like I said, this is common on passats, but don't know if Lupos even have CCM, or where they are :/

http://www.headfuzz.co.uk/vw_ccm have a look there at the problem

Edited by danoid
  • Like 1