iPhone and beta - what's the best way?

coopersim

I'd really like to link my iPhone up to the stock head unit and be able to play back music and use it as handsfree, so I was thinking of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261187287700?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And an iPhone dock - but will the built in microphone work well enough in the dock?

Hmmmm, maybe, I really couldn't tell you for definite, but I'll give you a guestimate. The thing is from a software perspective, you're kind of tricking it, so you may find the microphone is quieter when the line-in cable is attached. Let me explain:

When you put your phone on loudspeaker mode in a call, the software usually increases the microphone sensitivity by upto +20db. That number varies from model to model, based on hardware, how it's been coded, and if you owned an Android whether you'd hacked those variables to perhaps achieve what you're trying to achieve now. The problem you have is this, you're plugging it into a line-in, so in effect, your iPhone will see that as a pair of headphones. From past experience of mobile development, there isn't usually an increase in microphone volume for that.

Now let me throw a spanner into the works just for fun... in the past year or so (perhaps longer), many phone models have come with special software to ramp the microphone sensitivity based on the volume in which you talk rather than having specific settings. This can ramp up, or down based on the loudness in which you talk. If the iPhone has this function, I imagine you'll be fine. My N4 does have this function and it works remarkably well.

I'm afraid the best way to find out is to cut it and give it a try. Let me give you some advice. Mount the iPhone on a vent clipped support just above your head unit. This will be at the approximate height of your mouth so whatever you say will have a direct path into the microphone. If you mount it lower down nearer the heater controls like in some of the tutorials on here and the Internet, you will find the sound is muffled as there is extraneous noise flying around nearer the footwells of the car. In my honest opinion, if you do it like I advise, you'll be absolutely fine :)

Edited by Skezza

I have a Dension Ice Link Plus 120-VW-R not sure if it will work with the iPhone, but it's the correct model for the Beta/Gamma. If you want to do the research and it does, you can have it delivered for £25.

P.S. I'm away for a week, but I'll catch up when I get back.