Gearbox problem, car making 'whiny' noise

davie18

Today whilst I was driving, my gearbox seemed to suddenly go. I managed to get driving again to get back home, but now when I'm moving and I lift off the power, the car makes a very loud 'whiny' noise, which goes away if I go on the clutch. I think the gearbox might be leaking oil, so it's a possibility that there is no oil left in it at all.

If there is no oil in it, and I put oil in, could it possibly fix this? Or will I probably need a whole new gearbox now??

Perhaps use a thicker oil? I don't know what the standard oil is in a Lupo gearbox is.

The gearbox completely died yesterday actually. I've managed to find one for £200 from a 1.7 Lupo, this is a decent price isn't it? I think it has 120k miles on it but apparently works so hopefully it'll drive well once it's fitted!

bingo! that sucks man!!

Yah, I had put some oil in it, but then yesterday I was driving then put it into 4th then it just completely went. I could barely get it to go into any gears at all. Luckily I was less than a mile from home so managed to just get it back.