So it begins - Boot build

In mine all the wiring is present except the bit in the engine bay hence the loom, but the switch illuminates, nothing on the cluster. The loom its self is dead easy to install, the fun bit is poking it through the grommet in the bulk head and feeding it through the bay. Does the mark 1 light up on the dash cluster then? :coffee:

Only when the rear fogs are on, i've had a look and there is no symbol or light for front fogs in the cluster so if there is one it will be on the switch, but the consistency seems off having a light in the cluster for rear and a separate one in the switch for fronts?

As i said before, i'd love to hear how they work from someone with a Mk1 sport

11386737596_4c25a8f527_b.jpg

Pic of the twins, just gave silver a through clean - couldn't see through the rear screen, the joys of de-wipering

Also fog lights. Just need a new passenger fog and for the damn loom to arrive, got a feeling it will be sometime in the new year :(

As far as i'm aware, the fuse (number 19 in the box) is the same fuse for the front and rear fogs, so it is definitely present as my rear fogs are in full working order.

5 Weeks?! guess ill be waiting a while yet lol :lol:

Cheers, the refurb and new rubber has definitely jazzed them up a bit; don't know why but i seem to be a big fan of OEM wheels, i'd rather have these over a set of alleycats or something like that, don't get me wrong, i do like alleycats, zenders, BBS hoops and what not but i just think they are so sought after/over used and dare i say it 'scene' that they are kind of the norm now on modified cars so its a fresh change to see a set of OEM rims once in a while, which incidentally have been designed by the manufacturer purposefully for the style of the car, so certain traits will be reflected and shared between the rims and the vehicle. I like to think of it like choosing genuine parts over aftermarket parts but thats just my opinion :roflmao:

At some point ill get some spacers for the rear just to get the arches filled a bit better, thinking possibly 10mm each side but i haven't measured anything up yet.

Another thing on the list is a black rear view mirror and black sun visors as the grey ones just sticks out like sore thumbs, Im also wanting a Mk 2 bootlid as my lock is rusted to hell and really needs replacing, plus i'm quite fond of the popper being integrated with the badge.

I concur you don't see these wheels about very often either!

And it has the same fuse for front and rear fog? Its not something stupid like you cant have one on without the other so only uses one light? I know on the genuine switch I use you pull it out on sides one click for front fog and two click for rear fog, but on the rear fog switch only then you can only pull it out when the lights are on dipped beam.

I believe the wheels are off an Ibiza sport but i could be wrong, they are very similar to the Arosa sport alloys which you can see fitted on the black one. The indents in the spokes are more domed than on the Arosa's.

Originally i wanted the Arosa sport alloys however i couldn't find a set but when i found these i thought the style complemented the style of the car a bit better.. Plus £80 with tyres i couldn't say no :thumbup: They are also a bit wider when on the car with an ET of 38 instead of 43 but id be happier if they filled the rear arches a bit better.

Yes, it definitely uses the same fuse for front and rear fogs, a 15 amp in slot 19 as stated in the manual. I have the 2 pull genuine switch fitted that works in the exact same way as the Mk 2 switch, i've checked as my black one has fogs too. I've also had a look in my user manual and it says nothing about any light illuminating when the front fogs are initiated so i'm starting to think there may be no light at all. Seeing as front fogs are an optional extra, they are not tested on an MOT so surely it shouldn't matter if there is an indication light or not? As long as the rear one is in full working order?

According to my emails, the loom and other bits i've ordered should be with me tomorrow so ill be able to report back when i attempt to fit it :thumbup:

Don't trust the post though so ill not get my hopes up..

Ok then, a change of plans.

Fog lights will have to wait as i've taken a trip up to Scotland to pick up some bits for the black one - Exhaust steering wheel and a check strap for silver.

After a 7 hour journey i can confirm the parts are safely back in Morpeth and ready to be fitted.. and that will have to wait until Monday because i'm back at work tomorrow.

Great! Want me to drop you a PM with my number in case you need a hand, I can tell you which grommet to go through into which connector via which route if needs must. :-)

Yeah sure :D I'll give it a bash first and if i fail miserably ill ill get in touch :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Good news!!

Fogs finally fitted, wired and working. i'll not go into too much detail here as i'll write up a how to for anyone else who wants to fit them, so you've got that to wrap your eye holes around.

Drivers check strap fitted after 2 years of floppy door syndrome, finally i can stop worrying if the wind will rip the bugger off every time i load the shopping in.

The exhaust i picked up from Mark230 is fitted to the black one after a day dropping the axle out and is working as it should ready for MOT. Unfortunately my offside rear brake line snapped during the process so ill pop along to the parts department to pick a new one up along with an airbag connector for the seats.

This will leave:

Offside drive shaft

Tyres (which for the purpose of the MOT ill just switch with silver)

So close i can almost taste it!

Productive weekend but theres still a lot more to get done.

Ideas i'm toying around with at the moment:

Glove box light

Flush mount USB socket somewhere

Rear speakers (all pre wired from speaker loom install (see a few pages back))

GTI aero wipers

Plasti dip (maybe wheels, maybe dash, maybe something else)

LED illumination of front fog switch

If anyone has any suggestions i will gladly look into it as i'm always looking for new things to do :D

Ill follow up with pics when i remember

• 1 month later...

Been a little while since an update but here we go.

Silver is no longer on the road. Brakes have had it - rear drivers piston has popped, fluid has leaked into the drum and ruined the whole assembly.

That explains the worsening brakes and absolutely crap hand brake. I have also sheared off both the rear brake lines when dropping the beam off to fit my Powerflex bushes (which i didn't do).

Currently trying to find a sport rear beam to do a disc conversion but it's proving quite difficult to find one

Aside from that setback i've put new callipers, Brembo discs and EBC greenstuff pads on the front along with HEL braided lines. I'll get the system bled once i manage to source and fit a beam.

Seeing as i cant get any further with the silver one i've been cracking on with the black one, mainly just maintenance, putting things back together and fixing what was broken.

So far since the MOT she's had:

• Oil filter
  • Shell helix 5w40 oil
  • Fuel filter
  • 4 New NGK spark plugs
  • Re-fitted custom chrome back box
  • Pipercross panel filter cleaned
  • Fixed loose indicator stalks
  • Re-fitted steering column cover
  • Painted front emblem
  • A good clean in & out
  • Pinned seat air bag wired back up
  • Old tint residue removed
  • Drivers window seal re-positioned to fit
  • Drivers dual window controls fixed
  • Flip key fob
  • E38 Tax disc holder
  • 8 Ball gear knob
  • Gear gaiter re-fitted
  • Temporary radio fitted
  • Black coolant cap
  • Some other bits i've most likely forgotten

13018590115_00739fcc25_b.jpg

13018757953_9aa46a6a41_b.jpg

Oddly since i put the old custom chrome back box on it seems to run a bit better but its not perfect, throttle lag is still very much present but i'm starting to think its just the way it is.

The car is getting easier to drive, not sure if its just me getting accustomed to it though.