Central Locking Fuse + Mechanism Removal??

Skezza

I was told number 26 should kill the central locking + electric windows.

It kills the electric windows, but it didn't kill the central locking for some reason. The thing still worked when I put my key in and turned. Is there another fuse for it :|

Read down about mechanism...

Edited by Skezza

OK, I'm trying to remove the mechanism for the central locking so I can clean the microswitches. I've got the upper and lower door panel off but can't for the life of me work out where the mechanism is. I don't want to start ripping the grey protective material off to find nothing behind. I have a feeling its at the bottom left part I assume?

Can someone confirm this, here's a picture:

img201302231240031.jpg

no its built into the door lock which is under the top piece, you will need 12 point sockets to remove this and i think a t25 torxbut i may be wrong about the torx size oh and i think there are about three fuses which control your convenience pack which controls your locking and your windows. this is from memory mind ,so sorry if i'm slightly wrong. do you know how to put this back together as there is a proceedure recommended by vw? otherwise your locks don't work properly. it's a bit like being in the masons really...

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the response. I eventually found it after peeling back the top piece but ended up bottling it when I realized I'd obviously be without a lock temporarily, I thought they were separate til I looked and no, I don't know how to reassemble it properly, so I'm glad I didn't remove it. Is there a tutorial?

I think I might just live with it. It's just a bit dicky lol, figured a clean of the micro switches would help but it sounds too much. The three fuses explains why I didn't kill it last night when I removed the fuses lol.

I'm going to try fitting after market remote central locking tomorrow. Expect fireworks lol!

Edited by Skezza

there's a thread somewhere i think it's in the how to about fixing these locks, its got photos and tells you how to go on. ive done it on a few occasions and always been worrried until i got it all back together. i now have spare locks, just in case. but it does work if youve got the confidence or the patience depending on how you look at it. by the way its a soldering job most of the time as the microswitches crack away from the board, they dont require cleaning. hope this helps

there's a thread somewhere i think it's in the how to about fixing these locks, its got photos and tells you how to go on. ive done it on a few occasions and always been worrried until i got it all back together. i now have spare locks, just in case. but it does work if youve got the confidence or the patience depending on how you look at it. by the way its a soldering job most of the time as the microswitches crack away from the board, they dont require cleaning. hope this helps

Yeah, I really don't mind soldering. I would have checked all the connections and soldered any that had broken, but it just worried me when I realized how tough it was going to be. I honestly thought getting the panel off would be really tough and the rest would be a breeze but it's the exact opposite lol!!

I would be very interested in finding that thread, so I may have a dig through to try and find it.

The plan was originally to use this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1542461

and

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1015107

But I believe that is for a golf so might not be relevant :(

Also, if I'd read the actual tutorial properly, I'd have realized I need to take more than just the insulation off to access the lock safely. I don't recognize the black panel though? The thing is, I'd buy a second hand mechanism from the internet, but that doesn't actually solve my problem of getting it off. I never even got that far lol!!

Sounds like one ****er of a job. Tomorrow, Remote Central locking, as I said, fireworks expected :D

Cars eh? What fun :D

Edited by Skezza

it really isn't so bad, just allow yourself plenty time for the job just in case something does go wrong. but work methodically and take your time. lay stuff out as you take it off so you can "follow the trail" to put it all back together. some body put it there in the first place so you should be able to work it out. confidence is what you need, good luck

it really isn't so bad, just allow yourself plenty time for the job just in case something does go wrong. but work methodically and take your time. lay stuff out as you take it off so you can "follow the trail" to put it all back together. some body put it there in the first place so you should be able to work it out. confidence is what you need, good luck

Hey Geoff,

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, how do you get it out of the door? I've not worked that out yet!

that is a golf by the way, the locks are similar, but not the same. the locks are just fastened to the door , not the door plate on the golf which carries everything. once you get the lock out its similar, just a little less work involved in getting to it.

that is a golf by the way, the locks are similar, but not the same. the locks are just fastened to the door , not the door plate on the golf which carries everything. once you get the lock out its similar, just a little less work involved in getting to it.

OK, so if I lose those two large bolts on the door, will the lock just drop back? My mechanic warned me that if I remove them improperly that I can destroy the lock, is this true?

once youve peeled the grey protective cover off, the door lock becomes visible and its pretty easy to see how it comes out. like i said its not as complicated as the golf but the lock removal bit is the same . follow the instructions carefully for the reassembly otherwise you will have problems with your doorlocking

once youve peeled the grey protective cover off, the door lock becomes visible and its pretty easy to see how it comes out. like i said its not as complicated as the golf but the lock removal bit is the same . follow the instructions carefully for the reassembly otherwise you will have problems with your doorlocking

Ahh, so the reassembly instructions for the lock are similar to the golf reassembly ones? Just removing it is different.

OK, well I'm probably going to leave it for a while anyway. Spent all weekend noodling with my car and actually achieved nothing :clap: I probably need to do a little more research plus, actually establish a day where I can spend 10-12 hours doing it lol!

the main thing to watch out for is when you stick the t20 /t25 into the side of the door to release the outer part of the door lock (the bit your key fits into) only turn it enough to release the lock and key bit. turn a few times until you notice the lock coming loose, then a bit more until the lock and key comes out then stop. if you turn it any more the locking ring will fall into the door and you will have to take out the rest of the door handle to put it back together. at the same time you need to open the door handle slightly to release the lock. does that make sense? good. once you've removed the outer door lock you need to look into the hole and with a small flat screwdriver pick out the cable that connects to the inner lock then tackle the two twelve points holding the inner lock mech in then it should drop into your hand. you will have to watch for the door shut / open pin make sure its in the right place when you go to put the lock back. theres a sequence for putting the lock back in which may be in the how to (i cant remember off the top of my head) if you dont follow it your door will not open properly. if you can't find it get back to me and i'll have a trawl of my vw stuff to find it, cos i have it .. somewhere