Lupo HLBL

Skezza

Hey hey,

Two of the bulbs in the High Level Brake Light have packed up (not a GTI). When I removed it (with some bloody difficulty), it seems that it can't be opened ? Or if it can, it's not straightforward.

Has anyone else been able to do this? If so... how lol?

Also...

I've been looking for replacement bulbs and I found these two links

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Osram-Ultra-Life-3rd-High-Level-Brake-Light-501-W5W-T10-Bulbs-/350682173027?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item51a6494e63

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-VW-Lupo-501-W5W-LED-Red-High-Level-Brake-Lights-Bright-Rear-Upgrade-Bulbs-/390525742745?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item5aed25ee99

Has anyone tried the LED ones? I'd prefer the LED ones as they are less likely to blow when vibrating but it's strange they are only selling 5 when the Lupo requires 6???

The fact you can buy the bulbs surely means it's not a sealed unit, I just can't find out how to get it open :S

Edited by Skezza

I just replaced my bulbs, open the boot and unscrew the tailgate brake light from the back, it should just pop out, unplug it, then with a flat blade screw driver there are 4 catches on each side, just slide the screwdriver inbtween them and the red outer casing will pop off.

Once you replace the bulbs, plug them back in and test before placing the red outer casing back on.

Go on flee bay and type in 'vw lupo 3rd brake light bulbs' I think it's like 3.60 for a full set so you might aswel change all of them.

Hope this helps :)

I just replaced my bulbs, open the boot and unscrew the tailgate brake light from the back, it should just pop out, unplug it, then with a flat blade screw driver there are 4 catches on each side, just slide the screwdriver inbtween them and the red outer casing will pop off. Once you replace the bulbs, plug them back in and test before placing the red outer casing back on. Go on flee bay and type in 'vw lupo 3rd brake light bulbs' I think it's like 3.60 for a full set so you might aswel change all of them. Hope this helps :)

Cool! Did you use proper bulbs then, or LEDs?