Alternator problem? Also issue with front lights not working

Cocacola8th

So at the weekend, this all happened:

Saturday - Drove 5 miles, battery light came on and car stalled, used momentum to restart, car wouldn't start when I went to leave, airbag light on

Jump started car to drive home, same thing happened 4.5 miles later

Sunday - Charged battery over night, car started well, drove 15 miles with no problems - was during day so not sure about lights functioning

Check across battery terminals with car running - 12.05V

Monday - Car started in the morning but only offside side lamp was working, replaced with brand new battery and it's no better, same situation

with car not running which rules out the alternator being the only problem

Leaves me in a bit of a silly situation as it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I finish work!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Should be getting around 14v across battery when car running, modern cars act very funny when not given the correct power to them, clocks are like Christmas lights. get alt checked but my money says its dead.

I guess there is every possibility that the bulbs have blown as a seperate issue. I'll check the rear lights after work and also to see if the main beam is functioning.

I've ordered a replacement alternator as you say, 12v is not enough. But I would expect the bulbs to fire with a brand new battery without the engine running.

Do you know which bulb size fits the lupo? Cheers

Edited by Cocacola8th

Sounds like the alternator to me. My GTI was the same, even when I charged the battery it only gave me about 10 minutes before the dashboard lights started their christmas theme.

Other issue quite often found is a bad earth between the engine block and the chasis.

You also don't mention which model you have.

Main beam was functioning but not dipped beam, two new bulbs later and they're sorted. I don't reccommend Halfords super duper bright magical special bulbs, they're half as bright as the Osram nightbreakers.

New alternator ordered, should bring it back up to over 14v

Edited by Cocacola8th