New Lupo Owner, 1.4 16v ahw noisy engine - with link to video, advice?

benmic92

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie so be gentle to me.

a few weeks ago week I have bought my first cheap Lupo with full Vw service history, it is a 1999 T reg and has covered 64'000 miles.

last week I had a new timing belt and water pump/tensioners fitted, I serviced it at the weekend, flushing the engine and filled with 5w30 castrol edge. the car doesnt smoke or drink any oil that ive noticed and it drives lovely.

anyway searching the forum these engines seem to be famous for rattling/knocking/tapping can anyone tell me does mine sound knackared or is it ok/similar to everyone elses, ive had nothing to compare it against and it does sound very tappy to me and its beginning to worry me a bit, it does quieten a little once its warm but not by much, this is the first german car ive ever owned in just hoping its going to be ok,

the other car I drive is a Bugeye Impreza WRX.

any advice is greatly appreciated,

this is my car tapping noise (sound is exaggerated on the video for some reason possibly my mobile):-

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWpye_YliPc&feature=youtu.be

pics to follow shortly, once the cars clean.

Edited by benmic92

I had this when i first got mine get some engine flush and some synthetic oil and a oil filter. Semi or fully synthetic shouldn't congeal like the tesco value stuff they had been running mine on :)

Edited by buxton

after a good engine flush and some decent oil at the weekend I thrashed it a little on the motorway (sensibly) on the way home this evening and i must say it seems a lot quieter now, might do another flush and oil change in 3-4k and see how it goes,

looking at the last 2 MOT's its only cover 2000 miles in 2 years so could be just needing bedding in a bit.

i havnt yet covered a full tank of fuel distance yet so it might quieten down yet if oil ways are slightly blocked,

Careful with engine flushes, dont leave in for too long! They remove natural seals the engine develops. When the oil has drained from the car, pour it through the engine and will pull most of light **** out :)