Sub and Amp to Headunit with no `Pre-outs`?

I've got together £170 to spend on a Sub and Amp for my car, but as that isn't enough to get me a new headunit, I was wondering if its possible to connect them up to my current one. Its a JVC, but I'm not sure what model (really helpful rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ) and may not have any `pre-outs` - is it possible if it doesn't?

Also any suggestions of the best combination Sub and amp for £170 much appreciated smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Cheers.

It's possible with or without preouts, as long as you buy an amp that will accept `speaker-level` inputs (most do).

I'll leave the more experienced ICE members to give you recommendations smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...
with your budget you could get a sub with built in amp and a new cd head unit with pre outs from sony.......

Why would he want to spend his money on a cheap headunit and a cheap active sub when he could get a far better sounding system by using the existing JVC?

becuase his head unit must be a budget JVC if it has no pre outs..........

He's got £170 quid to spend, I think his headunit would be budget Sony if he has to buy that and a sub with that amount of cash, and I know which I'd prefer out of budget JVC and budget Sony car audio kit.

so a new budget JVC with pre outs then....... and a sub with built in amp.....

I dont care what make it is I just want the man to get a sub and not have to run speaker level signal to it......

I have had 2 Sony head units in the past couple of years and both were trouble free....(touch wood)

On a sub you wouldn't notice the diffrence.

If amp'd up components were needed then yes, I agree the diffrence in sq useing speaker level inputs would be quite high.

But for budget sub use?

I dont think you would tell any diffrence.

Thanks for that link Tigz, actually pretty tempted - is it a pretty good `set-up` for the price, and will it also accept `pre-outs` if I upgrade the headunit later? (sorry for all the questions - don't know much about ICE)

@ DJ Marky Marc - The point is I dont know if my current one has `pre-outs`, and I also like my JVC, its a pretty good one and the standard components sound pretty good just running from that. I just miss the extra bass i get from the sub I have connected to my PC.

In fact, the headunit is a JVC `KD-SX991R`, if that means anything to anyone? It came with the car so I know nothing about it :oops:

I just want the man to get a sub

Woman.

Thanks for pointing that out Jon 8)

Thats great news then.

The sub and amp will sound great for the money.

Im not a fan of JBL for one reason, they charge too much money at times.

That is a silly price for a great piece of kit.

I paid more than that for my 8" Sony active sub I bought before I knew about Audio.

Go for it mate.

If you want help to install it let me know.

Right, seeing as it seems to have your seal of aproval I'm gonna go for it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Order it this weekend probs, so hopefully next meet or show I see ClubLupo peeps I will have a s****y new ICE install!

Cheers for the info Snoop - i dont have any boxes or manuals for it you see :oops:

Cheers for the help guys - I just ordered the kit you pointed out, should be arriving in about a week so I can get on with fitting it. Finally got round to inproving my ICE - hooray!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />