Boot Popper

James827

i have a rusty, bubbly & flakey area around the handle on my bootlid.

sometime soon im going to get this and the roof gutters sorted.

A thought that crossed my mind was to delete the handle and have a boot popper installed.

i just have a few questions really.

1. How does this work?

(i know you press a button and hey presto but, what does the Solenoid etc do and how does the system work)

2. How easy are they to fit?

Cheers,

James

if you delete the windscreen wash and wipe along with the handle, you can use the wiring for the washer to pop the solenoid. You will need to install a relay as for me, the popper only works as the washer would i.e. only with the ignition on. If you install a relay, get a power feed to the back of the car, and a relay attached to the washer wire. there will be instructions on how to wire it up in the relay box, take the power feed as 12v in, the washer wiring as the switch, the solenoid as the accessory and then finally the earth. You should be able to fit this all within the bootlid itself without a problem.

How the solenoid itself works is dependent on the type of solenoid you have, ideally you want a sprung one, as that will automatically lock itself once the button is unpressed. If you get an unsprung solenoid, that will take one push to open the solenoid, and another to close it again.

Hope that helps a bit :)

^excellently put Curtis

+1

Cheers, sounds good and is something to look into. i do like to use my rear wiper but i guess i could give it up... so what would happen with a sprung system if i aciddently pushed it or something whilst driving? would my boot fly open? or would it just unlatch then re latch? and any idea of how i would wire up the relay? or is that something im going to have the Pioneer myself?

If you were to invert the way the relay is wired, such that the boot popper works opposite to the way the wiper would have, it should only open with the ignition off. I'm yet to do that, but then i've never accidentally popped the boot. Unless you have super strong boot lifters, it wont open itself, it'll just sit on the latch until you lift and close the boot again yourself. Unless you have a window open and your moving quite quickly, the air pressure in the car may build up and force the boot open, but its unlikely

If you can be bothered to trace the wires into the fuse box and back again, that would be a more professional finish, but as long as the wiring is soldered properly to the relay and secured down, there's nothing stopping you from securing the relay to the inside of the bootlid. There should be a small tab with a screw hole it it that you can use

when i did mine i took power from the cigarrett lighter power supply up into the boot, pretty easy to do. I had an audi a8 boot button inline which i put into the side of the rear bin, it was in the same position as the gti alarm button is.

when you pressed the button, the solenoid does one quick pull on the lock and the boot pops up! simples

when i did mine i took power from the cigarrett lighter power supply up into the boot, pretty easy to do. I had an audi a8 boot button inline which i put into the side of the rear bin, it was in the same position as the gti alarm button is.

when you pressed the button, the solenoid does one quick pull on the lock and the boot pops up! simples

I might do this instead, a bit more wiring involved but i get to keep my Wiper and have a specific button. did you just add cables from the + and - sides from the input of the cig lighter and just carry it on under carpet, up b pillar and into boot?

the solenoid only has a + wire and earth wire, found the positive wire which went to the cigarette lighter and piggy backed onto it. then yeah just ran it under the dash, under the carpet, then into the rear quarter then in the the boot. theres a grommet which you put it through on the far side.

its a bit tricky but the lupo is put together simply so not too difficult! i used speaker wire from the switch to the boot, was a bit thicker and it meant i could earth the solenoid in the rear quarter, some may say earthing in the boot isnt the best.

it also meant that the ignition didnt have to be on to open the boot :)

Don't power it from the rear wiper, you have to press once to activate and once to stop it (turn it off) if you forgot it would burn out the solenoid.

I did what Marcus did (only first :P) most oem and practical way IMO :)

Alex