Lupo Sport cat question

LincolnLupo

I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to engine related stuff but I need someone to confirm if there is only one cat for the Lupo Sport? :oops:

Volkswagen Lincoln say they changed the cat for me when they did some work on the car just after I bought it (about 10 months ago) and it's only done about 3000 miles since.

I took it for a MOT a couple of days ago and the emissions are over what it should be so they think the cat's gone.

Just want to make sure the one that's failed is the one they changed.

Is that likely??

I'll get the results up when I get home but it was massively over.

From memory I think the CO value could be a max of 0.3 and I was getting about 7.2 (both runs)

the other reading was over as well.

I only just had the car on vag.com yesterday (ABS warning light - n/s/f abs speed sensor gone).

Would they have only looked at the brakes within vag.com or would they have seen other faults pop up? Would have expected them to tell me if they'd seen anything else wrong??

OK here's the results given...

Fast Idle test

engine speed 2611rpm

co level 7.19% (max 0.30)

hc level 259ppm (max 200)

lamba 0.81 (min 0.97 max 1.03)

Fast idle test 2

engine speed 2586rpm

co level 7.17%

hc level 281ppm

lamba 0.80

Natural idle test 839rpm (min 790 max 940)

co level 5.99 (max 0.50)

Overall FAIL

Does this still sound like a sensor problem??

Can't afford to keep wasting my money on vag.com diagnostic charges. The ABS sensor problem's going to set me back £140 already.

I'm trying to sell the car and this is all dead money.

lol

don't care if it's £5.99

more bothered about cr@p from VW when they say "hmmmm well it's difficult to get to... how about we charge you 3 hours of labour and an hour diagnostic charge" or something equally stupid

Is this cheap and easy to replace then?

The MOT place I took it to (local AA approved centre) seemed to think the lamba sensor had gone (see test results) and quoted about £90 for it

Seem reasonable or are they trying to screw me more than usual?

Just want to get rid of this one now and get the gti (hopefullty on sat)

i think he means the level is 5.99 where as the max is only 0.50, so its quite a way over. if you have only done 3000 miles and it is quite a bit over the maximum i would have thought its probably a sensor. i had a sensor go on mine and it had only done 3500 miles. It was causing the choke to work at the wrong times and this was overfuelling.

lol

that's what happens when you read info while talking to parents, all kinds of misunderstandings arrise!

yep, I wasn't overly impressed either with that idle figure and yes it does seem to use a bit more fuel than it should.

do you know if your overfuelling problem produced similar results?

how long did it take vw to fix? am I looking at a hefty bill or a manageable one?

I'd appreciate experiences / details from anyone who's had similar problems.

Is there an orange light on, on your dash? with "CHECK" wrote underneath it? As this was the first reason why i wanted to take it to them as mine was on from day 1 after i bought it (3.5k miles) my car then started to become very jolty in the mornings and they told me this was because the auto choke came out straight away as the sensors were saying the car was warm already, this caused the overfuelling. im not sure about my emissions as i never seen a print out for it. there is a pic somewhere on the forum of the graph they gave me after they sorted it. it shows there were two damaged sensors, one in the manifold and one in the cat. just get them to plug it into there computers and check for sensor problems.

it took me two visits two VW, the first time i think they just reset the sensors etc on the car not thinking properly, this did remove the light from the dash, but only for 30 miles or so. The second time i left it with them for 2days and they changed the sensors on the car (the broken ones) and checked the engine/exhaust for any niggles and did about 80 odd miles on my car to make sure it didnt come back on. since then the light has stayed off, my fuel consumption is round about average i think (`220-250` miles to the tank) and ive done about 4k miles and everything is fine (touch wood!)

As for the cost, im not sure as i had all mine done under warranty, hopefully yours still is under warranty.

Sorry to babble on, but i hope that gives you a better indication of what happened to mine.