help overheating problem

car went for mot and got phone call saying it had overhated so got new thermo and has made no diffrence the fan never kicked .am geting wat a think is water in exhaust and when a take hose off expantion bottle a get a bit of foam when a stop revin and when stop water comes out again any ideas

is it loosing any water? is water comming out of expansion? any mayo? any smoke? and how many miles?

did you test your old thermostat?

hey there isnt really any smoke even thou have a racin exhaust on it . there isnt any mayo in cap its clean and water only comes out when it overheats ,83k its done but not sure about engine cause top of head has scrap yard markings and yes put a new thermo stat in

Mayo is a big misconception, does not always mean head gasket!!!

Water coming out of the exhaust again doesn't mean head gasket as it's also a by product of the cat which is H2O

If it's not loosing water when the cap is on i would check that

1st the fan turns by hand

2nd check fuses and wiring to fan

3rd when warm all the coolant hoses are hot

3rd check thermal switch for fan

The fan isnt causing your problems, it shouldnt come on unless you arent moving anyway.

I cant tell what you are trying to say regarding the expansion tank, but if the water is flowing then your pump is working.

Where does the water come out of?

Ah sorry, I though it was overheating all the time, but something popped during the test or something. I assume English isnt the OPs first language as it is rather hard to understand.

In that case, do as Mikeybopper said.

The fan IS causing a problem, IT should have come on during the MOT.

Hence them riging you to say it over heated!!!

Yes a phoned the mot station they said my fan never ceme on at all cause when phoned too say car overheated a toke it up road and toke thermostat out it was stuck . So ordered a other thermo and toke it back down and still over heated but never told me fan wasn't comin on so toke the plug from rad linkin with fan and tryed too short it but nuffin happed would that cause all my probs? Do you think been damage as white foam in expansion bottle ?