lupo TDi info/advice

SIMONG

if this is in the wrongplace then feel free to move!

right, ive been looking at getting rid of my G60 and going for something diesel, was looking at mk4 golf estates but dont really need something that big as im prob only going to use it to go to and from work in. so something more fuel friendly is in order!

ive been looking at 1.4 tdi lupos, or maybe an arosa as they seem to go for a lot less? but what i didnt realise is they are 3 cyclinder which has kinda put me of them a little bit. if i was to get one then of of the first things i would look to do it get it remapped to give it a little extra umph as the G has a fair few more horse's which i would have to learn to miss.

things like stupidly cheap tax and good mpg are attractive though! but have been thinking that, say if crusing on the motorway at 70mph, would you reving the arse of it? this using more fuel?

just wondering what info people can give me on them, what sort of realistic mpg's im lookin to get on the motorway, what are they like quailty wise, what sort of thing to look out for ie problem areas like roof gutters near the windscreen etc.

any info or adive would be great!

cheers Si.

On a road trip a while ago, the TDi stuck with the GTIs really well on the Yorkshire roads. Not as quick off the mark but good torque mid range. Give it a remap to 100BHP and it will fly.

Any qustions speak to Jon_273.

My Polo Dune TDi does it's best MPG at 50 - 60mph, but that's only 69bhp. Looking at getting it mapped to 100-ish.

think i need to have a go in one see what there like!

keep looking at them and they keep growing on me. just looking at some of the photos of members cars. theres a few proper nice lookers about

when they are mapped they are so easy to drive as you have poke in any gear and all through the range. overtaking in 5th is the norm :thumbsup: have had no issues with mine and its just ticked over 130k.

thats not even broken in yet the G has done 212K and still going strong!

how big are the tanks out of interest, are you filling it up every 5 mins or do you get a good few miles out on it?

also loop, liking the front bumper/grille combo you've got going on there too.

They do 2500rpm at 70mph in 5th, meaning they are fairly good on the motorway for a small car. And with a good remap they will keep up with anything at normal oustide lane speeds.

A 3 cylinder diesel doesn't sound like a great recipe but don't knock it till you've tried it! Not a perfect engine by any means but probably the best one to have a lupo IMO.

Edit: to qualify that last statement I do at least 10k miles a year, if I just drove short journeys I would probably have a petrol.

Edited by jon_273

cheers for that jon. thats the kinda stuff i wanna know.

i had a look around an arosa today. it was a 1L petrol, i wasnt looking to buy it, its a member from another forum i go on. it looked pretty good, lowered on coilovers and G60 steels. im kinda liking the front ends a little more now. whats the interior difference from the lupo to the seat? leccy windows, mirrors etc. it had a n/s mirror that was smaller than the o/s mirror, is this normal?

i also drove a lhd 1.4 tdi today which was a little odd. didnt get much distance in it as it came into work as scrap but i was suprised at how big it was from the front seats forward. the back seats arent massive but look big enough. and the boot is well...not very big at all! but thats not a massive prob.. one thing i did do though is get the back lights off incase i get the seat variant as the seat one's are guff!

Odd size mirrors are normal. Lupo will have electric mirrors whereas arosa will have remote locking. Lupo has slightly nicer dash though not much in it. They are surprisingly big insie.

That must be a rare car to get in as scrap. Do you work in a breakers?

i work for a scrap metal company, they used to have a breakers yard but closed the gates about two months ago but we still take cars in for scrap, de-pollute them and stick them in the baler! yeah not many lupos come in for scrap. but this one was pretty battered.