Amp wire kits

Ive got roud to installing my amp an went to a local audio shop to get wiring and all they had were kits (£30+). In a previous thread someone said that you shouldnt buy wiring kits... I have loads of decent speaker wire for home hi fi's, can you use this in a car? If you shouldnt buy kits, where do you get the power cables from? Is £30 the cheapest ill get everything because I wasnt expecting it to be that much.

Thanks, Stefan

Hi mate.

Amp wireing kits can be pretty expencive.

I think my 0awg power cable cost me £5 for 5 metres.

Any electrical factors should be able to sell you some RCA and a 5 metre extention cable for around £5.

I used welding cable from Here

This cable should be fine for the amp you have, plus will be enough for most other amps if you deside to fit a second.

SW1007 £0.98 25mm² Max 200A Continuous

Heres a AWG to MM² Conversion Table

20AWG = 0.75mm²

18AWG = 1mm²

16AWG = 1.5mm²

14AWG = 2.5mm²

12AWG = 4mm²

10AWG = 6mm²

8AWG = 10mm²

6AWG = 15mm²

4AWG = 25mm²

2AWG = 35mm²

0AWG = 50mm²

2/0AWG = 70mm²

3/0AWG = 95mm²

4/0AWG = 120mm²

All you would need to find is 2 x 4awg fuse holders with the relivent fuses for your amp.

Electrical factors are a type of shop.

Like a maplin, but I use the smaller shops as you can get a lot better price.

Hifi speaker cable should be fine, as the dude from Lincon says, make sure its not too thin.

20awg should be fine for your speakers though, I use 12awg for my components, and 10awg for the sub, but that is a little over kill, I just think its best planning for the future, saves replacing it if you ever deside to upgrade the system at a later date.

I take it the amp made it there then stefan, always a relief. Let us know how you get on with it.

Can you use anything for the remote turn on cable? I have loads of bits of wire hanging about, nothing thick enough for power but some of it should be ok for remote turn on cable.

I doubt ill be upgrading so I think ill use 8awg power wire as that is what it says in the manual as a minimum. But i belive you lot that once you start with this ice business you can't stop and always go bigger, the same thing happened when i started with a £150 bass guitar rig, and now have £1000 worth of kit.

Thats exactly right mate...until your foolish enough to buy a car that you cant fit any in. 8 guage cable will be fine for that amp although 4 would be better. If you havent bought the cable already then i'd be tempted to get the 4 guage welding cable- very little price difference.

As for rem power, any cable is fine TBH. It has to carry very little current, just the same thickness as comes out the back of the head unit is all you need.

Best to give them a call.

I forget the girls name who answers the phone, but explain what your wanting it for and she'll sort you out.

Its so much cheaper, and other than the way it looks theres no real diffrence.

I am about to get some of that cable and I thought I would get the 16mm2 stuff as it will handle all the current I will ever need and will be a bit thinner so it is easier to run down the car and through the firewall...will this cable be ok to use with 25mm2 fuse holders and lugs etc or will it be too thin to work?

Thanks

yes, that should be alright mate, the lugs will want solder and and crimping, so any excess space shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The fuse holders are smaller than the insulated cable, so once you strip down the insulation should fit nicely.

Ok thanks for all these answers and sorry for all the questions but there is a few more to come... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

It says in the manual use around 90A fuse (it is 80A on the amp) but that means I will have to connect 3X30A fuses in parallel, is it ok to use an 80amp fuse? so then I only need a single fuse holder and it will save money.

Also... Do you need one of those terminal clamp things to connect the +ive wire to the battery or is there an easier way?

Just the routing of the cables through the car questions to come now :?

If its an 80amp fuse in the amp then you want a 80amp on the cable.

cant understand why the manual is saying to use a 90amp :shock:

You wont need the terminal, if you just use a lug, then connect it to one of the bolts that go through the possitive strips under the plastic cover on you battery.

Ive lent my mate my camera, but I'll take some pics at the weekend for you, to show what I meen.

Ok im gonna start running the wires from the head unit to the boot. Any advice on where do to this? I dont really know where to start :? Do you need to remove seats and how do you pull up carpet etc? If any one has pictures of where there cables are run that would be great.

Cheers

Ive got all the wires to the back of the head unit and now they are just sat in the footwell and I have no music as the speakers are dissconeted (ready to go with the amp)... so dont mean to nag but could someone tell me where the best place to pull up the carpet is in the footwell please and the best route to take to the boot? I want to get it finished tommorow and dont want to destroy the capet in the process.

Thanks in advance

PS. Tigz, Im not sure which battery bolt you mean? Is it under the plastic cover or the ones next to the plastic cover that connect the strips that go into the plastic cover to the battery (that is hard to understand i know :? ) I can see a bolt next to the +ve terminal that looks like it is ok?

Heres the pic.

Notice the thick black wire towards the right of the pic.

Thats my power cable, you can hook it up there.

Notice the non VW 20amp fuse in the holder :wink: from my Alpines V12 Power fuse blowing amp :shock:

If you look at the plastics across the doors and around the rear seat area, you can take out the touque screws, and lift the carpet enough to slide the cables through under the plastics so you dont kick them like I do :wink

Thanks very much for the quick reply and the picture. Will get it finished tomorrow and ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Stefan

P.S. - That welding cable is great, was only £6.50 for 5 meters (16mm2) with next day postage. That would have got me about 2 meters of 8awg in halfords, lol.

QUOTE(Stef_blu_lupo)
P.S. - That welding cable is great, was only £6.50 for 5 meters (16mm2) with next day postage. That would have got me about 2 meters of 8awg in halfords, lol.

Not really since we dont sell 8awg and we dont sell by the meter.

ah wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

halfords you've have to buy 5meter 4awg power lead with fuse holder and 1meter 4awg earth lead for £29.99

Any tips on getting the power cable through the firewall. I sliced the grommet, put about half a meter of the cable through and searched for about 15mins round the back of the footwell and pulled several bits of material away and still cant find it. Then it started to piss down so i had to abandon it, any tips for when i go back? Or is it a case of just sticking your hand everywhere you can.

Cheers Stef

If you stick your hand up on the passenger side of the center console, rite at the back and up a bit you should be able to feel it, If not the cable could well have bent and gone between the two firewall skins like mine did... i lost 5 meters of 2awg between the two skins lol.

If you think its gone between the skins, pull it out and start again.