40k service done

starbank

Had the 40k service carried out yesterday and as it was the last one under warranty I wanted a few things sorted. I told the dealer about them 3 weeks before it was due in so that they could get the parts ordered etc.

Picked the car up last night, not ONE of the faults I advised them about in advance had been fixed! It's got to go back in next Thursday as they "need to order the parts in". Absolute nonsence.

Apart from the minor niggles which I told them about like door straps, high level brake light, rear wash wipe and bonnet release, they advised that the cam box seal had gone and was leaking oil into the cylinders. This is a fault with the car so the repair will be done under warranty - about `3-4` hours work they tell me and they would have to replace the timing belt as part of the job.

Anyone else had this problem with the cambox seal???

Otherwise, a clean bill of health!

They do this with mine everytime it goes in.

What I normally do is refuse to take it untill its been fixed, somehow they always managed to get the parts in stock the very next day and have the car done by lunch time, when they need there replacment car back :wink:

Been pretty lucky with the timeing belt being changed under warrenty, at least that gives you a further 70k miles before the next change. Plus gives you a little extra engine warrenty :wink:

How much did the service set you back?

Getting the timing belt done under warranty is pretty fortunate - when they first told me the seal had gone I was sihtting myself cos I thought I would have to pay for it all myself!

They charged me the standard 40k Lupo service charge - £249.

Strange how they have to replace the whole rear spoiler when the brake light goes eh?

they wont order parts until it has been looked at by a tech.

the reason for this is some ppl may describe over the phone something which is totally different to the actual problem in reality.

so end up stuck with a load of parts. and VW charge up to 25% to take these back off the dealer.

the way to do this is to go in person and book the car in. and say while im here could some1 look at........

then they can inspect the fault and order the parts for the day of service. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I had my belts changed at 50K miles as Star Performance had a 40K car in with bent valves after the belts had gone. They reckon it is age rather than mileage that causes the belts to harden then snap!

£250 for belts and tensioners.

cambox seal letting oil into the cylinders ??? what a crock of crap

how the hell is oil going to get into the cylinders from the cam area ? you have a head in the way wich is sealed with a head gasket, i bet a saleman who hasnt a clue about engines passed that info on..

or maybe there is some new design on your engine that they forgot to put on mine ??

cam belt is deffinately a bonus, what a pain to change that

Star is in Fife. Great for Corrado and Lupo service. They know what they are doing and are half the price of VW garage!

Sounds all good. Mine will be due the 30k service in 4k miles time but not under warranty (over 3 years old) sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> And my rear washer isn't working, still. Kwik Fit say the pipes snapped or something where it goes around the hingey thing in the boot area. Oh well. Hope you get it all sorted anyway smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The rear windscreen washer is a common problem and I believe a latent defect - I took mine in a while ago and they informed me that VW had developed a new fitting which prevents the fault.

Just to let you know - my rear washer will be getting replaced AGAIN on Thursday.........this being the new fitting that prevents the fault!

Tut, tut.

QUOTE(starbank)
The rear windscreen washer is a common problem and I believe a latent defect - I took mine in a while ago and they informed me that VW had developed a new fitting which prevents the fault.  

Just to let you know - my rear washer will be getting replaced AGAIN on Thursday.........this being the new fitting that prevents the fault!  

Tut, tut.

Not to hijack your thread, but any chance at all you know how much VW rip you off for this replacement, hopefully with the new one? If it's a VW fault then perhaps I could blag it... if only it'd gone within the warranty sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

All depends on how bad the damage is - I think it's just a disconnected pipe thats the problem, and if nothing much has been damaged as a result, to the best of my understanding it's as easy as pushing the pipe back together (some people apply glue also at this point).

If the water has damaged any of the other electronics where it's split, then there might be further implications.

Either way, one way to prevent it happening again is to make sure you use plenty of antifreeze additive in your screenwash in cold weather.