gearbox leak

I smelt a horrible smeel whilst driving so i looked under the car when i pulled over and its leeking gearbox oil by where the drive shaft goes into the gearbox by the looks of it , it was falling on my exhaust and burning to cause a horrible smell , mt gears have also been a little stiff to engage , not a lot just a little ,

The leak is quite bad , a drop every 3 seconds!! will this be a seal that needs replacing ? or something worse , this is my first problem with the loop :(

Edited by gavinhendy

This is a leek...

leek.jpg

What you have is a LEAK!

Joking aside, yeah sounds like a seal has gone mate. Best start of small first. No point buying a whole new CV when it might only be a seal. Best thing to do, wipe away the excess oil underneath, and make sure its coming from the driveshaft. If so then more than likely a seal.

cheers mate , leek is the national vegetable of wales lol ,

its coming from the drive shaft, i had the **** shields off today after work to top up the gearbox oil, it took about 200ml , just going to keep topping it up until i get some time and spare cash to book it into garage , thanks for your help

gav

Edited by gavinhendy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ive got my gearbox out after an oil leak, they leak from either when they fail, badly a hole occurs inside the bell housing - new box

or gear selector shaft seal, 4 quid ebay can be done with gearbox in.

or input shaft seal box out there is a half moon cutout on the bottom of bellhousing oil leaks from there, box out.